• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a slide show that will play on a TV?

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a

collection of pics that I have used the slideshow module t

o create a slide show and it works great on my PC. How do

I create one that I can burn to a disk and play on a TV?

Do I need to purchase

something else or will Lightroom3 do what I need? The slideshow that I created will play on other computers but, when I put it in a dvd player for the TV it says there is no disk in it. I have tried 4 different players. Am I missing something?

I would be very gratefull for help with this!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

It sounds like you are trying to playback using a standard DVD player. The picture quality will not be great using DVD format (720 x 480), compared to what you see on a large screen computer monitor!

If your objective is to playback LR slideshows on a large screen 1080p HD TV (1920 x 1080), you will need to create Blu-ray compatible DVDs movies. I use PowerDirector 9 Ultra64, which is one of the fastest for processing video. You will need a high-performance system, or expect long rendering times

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To create a slide show that will play in a standard DVD player will require additional software.  You can use Adobe Premiere Elements, for example.  But there are other programs as well.  A lot of people recommend one called Pro Show Gold.  I have never used it, but the reports I have read indicate that it is very easy to use and does an excellent job.  The slide shows created by Lightroom are simply PDF files.  A DVD player looks for specific folders and files that are necessary for a "standard" DVD.  Another alternative would be to simply copy the images to a flash drive and display them on your television if it has that capability.  My Sony high definition TV will do that.  No music or anything fancy, but the pictures display fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pro show gold is excellent and its big brother Producer is even better. Thay also do an on-line version. Pretty sure you can download fully functioning versions of the show software tho.

Colin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are trying to playback using a standard DVD player. The picture quality will not be great using DVD format (720 x 480), compared to what you see on a large screen computer monitor!

If your objective is to playback LR slideshows on a large screen 1080p HD TV (1920 x 1080), you will need to create Blu-ray compatible DVDs movies. I use PowerDirector 9 Ultra64, which is one of the fastest for processing video. You will need a high-performance system, or expect long rendering times with any of these video applications. You do NOT need a Blu-ray burner, as it is possible to burn H.264 AVC HD 1080p video slideshows to a standard 4.7GB DVD. Theoretically you should be able to fit about 500 LR exported slideshow JPEG image files onto one 4.7GB DVD, which will play on any Blu-ray player (~45 min.). The LR slideshow images played back on a large 1080p TV are stunning!

You can also export the H.264 AVC video to a USB thumb drive or SD memory card using PowerDirector 9. Most Blu-ray players have a USB port and an SD card slot, allowing you to use this media if you need more than 4.7GB for your HD slideshow or 1080p movie from your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner is right. You do not want to make a video DVD. It will look terrible on any reasonably current TV. Instead simply make a DVD (or memory stick) with a folder of sRGB jpegs on it properly cropped, scaled and sharpened for 1080p (1920x1080 pixels) and run the slideshow software built in to your TV or Bluray player. Alternatively, you can export a H264 mp4 from the slideshow module, dump it on a memory stick (or plain DVD) and stick it in the TV or your BluRay player. Most current ones (especially the cheap ones from costco or walmart) will simply play the H264 video Lightroom outputs. Alternatively, if you have it, use an AppleTV and stream the images or videos over the network. You'll get nice fades, zooms and pans, but only 720p quality, which is still lightyears better than standard DVD and most people cannot distinguish from 1080p as long as the TV is not ginormous. I use the latter method at home and it works really well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, you can export a H264 mp4 from the slideshow module, dump it on a memory stick (or plain DVD) and stick it in the TV or your BluRay player

Not all Blu-ray palyers can play MP4 container video files. So this may, or may not work depending on your Blu-ray player's capabilities. ALL Blu-ray players will play H.264 AVC HD video with .MTS file format, but Lightroom 3  does not offer this as a slideshow export option.

See the 'Overview' section here for more information on the file system and folder organization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

The folder structure when using USB and SD media is different than DVD media! More information here:

http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/tutorial.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we do, is export the video at 720p. Take the resulting MP4 file, and convert it with a program called DVD Flick. It is a free software. I always save this conversion as an ISO image to disk, and burn a DVD from that. But the program will also burn it directly to disk. Works great. Just takes awhile for the computer to do all this conversion. We used to use Pro Show Producer, but had a lot of complaints from customers about disks that would not play right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DVD Flick should do the job for creating standard DVDs with the 720 x 480 resolution limitation already stated, but it doesn't do 1080p Blu-ray compatible output.

For that you can use multiAVCHD freeware at the link provided:

http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/

Create a 1080p LR exported slideshow MP4 video file and use multiAVCHD to create and output your Blu-ray compaitble video to standard DVD, USB drive, or SD memory card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wondershare DVD Creator can hlep you create a DVD slideshow out of your photos. When the slideshow has been created, you can convert it to any format you like so as to play it on TV, smartphone, or upload it to online website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines