• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Manually apply Lens Profiles on TIF files?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I not able to use certain Lens Profiles on images that are not RAW? I understand that LR would not be able to detect the lens used for the image because of that info being lost after becoming a tif, but why can't I just manually select the specific lens profile in the custom setup from the list? For some reason, you can do that with only a small selection of lenses. If LR already has the lens profile for distortion correction, why can't I just use at anytime with any image? Doesn't make sense to me.

If you're having a hard time understanding my problem, here is a detailed example:

I shoot real estate. I use a Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8 for Canon EF. This lens has been on the supported list for a while. My editing process involves blending photos and bringing them into PS and then to LR again, creating a TIF. I can only make crop adjustments until after doing work on the photo in PS because of the way PS opens them in layers (you just have to take my word on this, hard to explain in a forum and not important). If I tried to do the lens correction on the CR2 files, LR will easily detect my lens and apply the distortion adjustments. If it wouldn't detect it, I can always manually select the lens from their enormous list of supported lenses (Lens Correction>Profile>Setup: Custom and then I select the lens). However, if I try this with a TIF (or possibly anything other than a CR2 file), that enormous list shrinks dramatically and my lens is no longer on it. I can still apply lens profiles from different lens from the shrunken lists, so that would suggest that the fact the image is no longer CR2 is completely irrelevant. If I can apply a lens profile manually from these lenses, why can't I do it with the lens profile of my lens?

Does anyone have a solution or explanation to this? Perhaps my issue is unique to me? I have LR CC 2015.9 but this has been a constant issue with previous versions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

See this thread for a discussion of the issue, especially the last post in the thread from Adobe employee simonsaith: Re: Lens Profile Missing for Tiffs .  The first reply from richardplondon explains how to edit a lens profile to make it work with non-raws.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this thread for a discussion of the issue, especially the last post in the thread from Adobe employee simonsaith: Re: Lens Profile Missing for Tiffs .  The first reply from richardplondon explains how to edit a lens profile to make it work with non-raws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be very nice if the link you provide (Re: Lens Profile Missing for Tiffs ) ACTUALLY went to the article!!!!!" Adobe your help sucks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dead link. I can find no alternatives. If you get here stop and try another search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ralph Hill  Yes, a Dead Link from 2017, long before Adobe changed the Forum structure and deleted many 'old' posts.

@iCimages.net  (from Sep 2020)- This forum is not Adobe! We are Community Volunteers, like all other users.

Lens Profile Alternatives?

I find I can apply a "Custom" lens profile to a TIF, even a TIF that has gone through Photoshop several times. I can select Lens Make, Model, & Profile. Or use the 'Manual' adjustments and create a Develop Preset.

I cannot locate the article referenced in the 'Dead' link from 2017.

2021-06-07 10_49_50-Roberts Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this somewhat more terse reply from Camera Raw engineer Chris Castleberry:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/camera-rawlightroom-lens-profile-req... 

The reply mentions JPEGs, but it applies equally to TIFFs and other non-raw formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. I figured this out on my own and have been trying to post my notes in case they help others (I have more details that Chris offers). Unfortunately there seems to be a problem posting my instructions. I have no idea what might be the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I should have known that @johnrellis would have the answer!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(What a pain in the butt. If you have a line that ends with a space followed by <CR> you can neither preview nor post. Huh? Pretty crappy website. How do I report this?)

I found that bug and worked past it. Here is how I solve the original problem on my Mac.

This works on a Mac running macOS 11.4 and Lightroom Classic 10.2 Camera Raw 13.2

In /Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/

find a file that is appropriate for your lens. Ignore the camera body. In the file, change

CameraRawProfile=“True

to

CameraRawProfile=“False”

save the resulting file in the folder

/Users/[your user id]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/

Restart Lightroom.

For example, I wanted a profile for the Canon EF 11-24 f/4L USM. The file I found was

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/Canon/Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III (Canon EF 11-24mm f4L USM) - RAW.lcp

I then found every occurrence of CameraRawProfile=“True” in the file and replaced “True” with “False” and saved the file. (Over 100 occurrences! Automatic find and replace is needed). Any decent text editor will do.

Restart Lightroom. Now I can apply the profile corrections to TIFF files representing images taken with my Canon 5D IV and Canon R5 using my Canon EF 11-24 f/4L USM lens. Have to do the rest of my lenses now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"If you have a line that ends with a space followed by <CR> you can neither preview nor post. Huh? Pretty crappy website. How do I report this?"

You can report it here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/bd-p/Using-the-Community?page=1&sort=latest_repli...

There is an Adobe employee who moderates that forum and is reasonably effective at relaying bug reports to the company that provides the platform. Provide a precise step-by-step recipe for reproducing the bug with screenshots -- otherwise, the bug report will be more likely ignored.

The company, Khoros, is very slow at fixing bugs with their platform, unfortunately. (Adobe made a poor choice in Khoros two years ago, but it's very unlikely to change at this point.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines