• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Match Raw setting to Jpeg

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding that when I edit my raws in LR they are coming out soft and unshape compared to the camera jpegs. Is there a way I can match the jpeg settings to the raws so a least I have a base level to start with?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first step would be to apply a Camera Matching Profile to your raws.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/camera-profiles/

Then if you are frequently making the same Develop adjustments (sharpening, etc) you could make a Preset with these adjustments and set this as the Default to apply to Imports. https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-set-defaults-for-raw-file-import/...

[Shoot only raw- then you will not have the dilemna, or is that 'dilemma'.  🙂  ]

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a cropped screen shot relevant to your issue?

Are you using Import or Develop preset we can't see in your post?

Are you experienceing a difference between Library and Develop modules?

Also your OS and LR versions will help in some instances .  .  .  thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two photo here. They have both been resampled for the internet. Any way, One is the best I could do with LR while the other is in camera shapening.

Taken with LR 5.0 and Win 7 three years ago

I am having trouble recreating the sharpening and nice skin tones.

Lightroom.jpg

In Camera.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem. Both in Camera raw and LR classic the colors do not match the colors in the jpg version even when you apply them with the sliders. That means I never edit my images in raw. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your posted photos, which is processed in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am finding that when I edit my raws in LR they are coming out soft and unshape compared to the camera jpegs. Is there a way I can match the jpeg settings to the raws so a least I have a base level to start with?"

In general, there is no way to exactly have the RAWs match the JPGs. If you really want that JPG look, use the JPG. If you want the flexibility to perform your own adjustments and perhaps come to a different appearance, and perhaps even a more pleasing appearance than the JPG, then you are better off with RAW.

Now it is true that with a certain amount of tweaking of the RAW image, you can come pretty close to what the JPG looks like. But that tweaking is likely to be different for each RAW image, making the whole idea of matching the JPG appearance over a lot of photos to be very time consuming and tedious. And of course, this tweaking to match the JPG misses the possibility of improving upon the JPG appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first one is LR. If you zoom in on the Eye you can see the difference.

In general, there is no way to exactly have the RAWs match the JPGs. If you really want that JPG look, use the JPG. If you want the flexibility to perform your own adjustments and perhaps come to a different appearance, and perhaps even a more pleasing appearance than the JPG, then you are better off with RAW.

Now it is true that with a certain amount of tweaking of the RAW image, you can come pretty close to what the JPG looks like. But that tweaking is likely to be different for each RAW image, making the whole idea of matching the JPG appearance over a lot of photos to be very time consuming and tedious. And of course, this tweaking to match the JPG misses the possibility of improving upon the JPG appearance.

Then my question is how to properly sharpen in LR to match or improve the photo in camera sharpening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three types of sharpening.

Input sharpening -- Fix the softening done by the lens and camera filters. It is done in the Details panel. Amount at 100 or so, mask at 70-80. The mask is important so that you are trying to sharpen only the edges of objects.

Artistic sharpening -- Sharpens the important parts of the picture. Like the eyes in a portrait. This is done with an adjustment brush.

Output sharpening -- preps the edited image for the final output usage (printing needs much more sharpening than screen viewing). This is done in the Export dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines