• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Migrate LR Files/Photos on SSD to HDD Catalog- LR Classic - macOS Catalina

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time attempting this.

I am going to configure my computer so that I can import new photos/files onto an SSD for LR Classic. The first step is to import the photos/files to the SSD - that's easy - File, Import Photos & Videos, and then select the SSD from the pulldown. What I need from forum members is step-by-step instructions on how to migrate all of the files/photos (including keywords/wording, people) to the catalog on the HDD after I finish working on the photos?

Currently, I import all photos to a catalog on an HDD (more accurately an Enterprise NAS).  I save the files/photos under the date I took the pictures. The folder structure is as follows: Year (folder), Month (within the Year folder), Day (within the Month folder). 

Now comes the tricky part. Is there a way for the files on the SSD to reference the Keyword List from the LR Catalog HDD? This would make it incredibly easy for LR to identify faces and for me to add Keyword/ing as well.

This is in preparation for the arrival of a 2019 Mac Pro. However, I will test it on my 2013 in advanced.

Thank you for your time

LR Classic 9.3

Mac Pro 2013

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I must say you don't completely understand how LrC works and how to properly work with LrC.

I suggest you review some of the tiutorials on the Adobe help system to better understand how LrC works and how to work better with LrC.

How Lightroom catalogs work

Lightroom Classic tutorials | Learn how to use Lightroom Classic

You should work with ONE ( ) catalog file that holds the References to ALL your images.

Where that catalog file should be is on the fastest drive connected to your system.

Your actaul Image files can be on any drive connected to your system, Internal or External.

There are NO image files In the LrC Catalog file. It is just a Database file that holds A Record, A Reference, of which files have been imported, where those imported image files are actually stored, which drive or drives and which folder or fiolders they are in and whatever edits, and or metadata changes, you have made to them.

If you have a catalog on your internal SSD and a second catalog on your external drive that basically have the same images recorded in them that is very poor thinking and Not the way to use LrC.

Please look at the links I included to better understand how LrC works, what the Catalog file is and how to better work with LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already have the LR Catalog on a dedicated SSD.

My forum request is for step-by-step instructions on how to import photos from a new shoot onto an SSD as opposed to the HDDs where I normally load them to. This way I can take advantage of the SSD's speed. Then once complete move the photos to the HHDs. 
The second part was to determine if the photos in the SSD could data such as people and keywords.
Currently when I import photos directly to the HDDs via LR the computer automatically looks for people and does a good job identifying them. When I instead import the photos to the SSD will LR do the same using the data saved in the Catalog?

Lastly I would then like step-by-step instructions on how to move all of the photos from the SSD and into the HDDs via LR.
to me this seems quite intuitive and easily accomplished but I would feel a whole lot better with the aforementioned instructions. 
Many thanks. the 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the actual image files on a SSD does not, Will NOT, increase the speed of LrC or your edting.

As Stated above the catalog file does NOT contain any image files. It is a Database file that only holds a Record, A Reference, as to where the image files are stored and what edit you have done to those image files.

If you still want to place images that you are going to edit right away on the SSD that is fine. If after you edit them you want to move them to another drive you do that right in LrC by selecting them and then Click in the Center of one of the image thumbnails and Drag them to the other drive and folder that you want them to be Moved To.

Do you actually have a second Catalog file (SomeName.lrcat) on your external drive and if you do Why do you?

I still suggest you take the time to review the links I posted in my other reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JS, thank you for taking the time to respond and provide links. I appreciate it. However, I am hopeful to get direct answers to the questions. I will number them for simplicity's sake:

(1) After I've lauched LR Classic and imported photos to an SSD, will the photos have access to the people (faces) and keywords? 

(2) After I have edited the images (on the SSD), please provided step-by-step instructions on how to move the entire file of photos from the SSD to the HDD within LR Classic.

Prior to posting the inquiry, below is what I believe are the answers. I was hoping to get confirmation from members who have a lot more experience with LR so I would feel confident prior to intiating the steps.

Answer (1). You have nothing to worry about. Since you are launching LR Classic via the Catalog, no matter where you download the photos to (SSD or HDD), option such as idenifying people (faces) and keywords based on previous photos will be available. It will be the same as if you downloaded them to the HDD where all of the other photos are located.

Answer (2). Once you are done working on your photos on the SSD, from within LR Classic, Click the folder containing all of the photos within the SSD and Drag it to the HDD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That works.

But you are creating more work than needed.

You are making harder than it has to be.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can transfer the photos on your SSD to similarly named folders on a different disk, even if it is an HDD. If you have photos in a folder name "My Pictures" on the SSD, its very easy to put them in a folder named "My Pictures" (exact same name) on the HDD. The step-by-step instructions are in the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" in this document.

But ... please don't make your life so difficult. Import the photos directly to the HDD instead of the SSD, and then you save yourself the problem of moving photos later.

There is no need to move the catalog file itself to your SSD, and in fact, you would not want to do that in general, as your Library Module will run faster from an SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines