• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to move files within a collection

Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just watched a julieanne kost tutorial during which she showed how to move files within the same  collection.  I ttried doing exacly the way she did and it didn't work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

If the question is 'How to change the ORDER of PHOTOS within ONE Collection.' then- in screen-clips-

1) Select ( Highlight) one photo in a Collection using Grid View

ScreenShot434.jpg   

Note my Sort Order is ScreenShot435.jpg

2) Drag it (the one photo image- NOT by the grey border!!) to another location in the Grid of photos.

A thumbnail of an 'image' will indicate the move and a dark line will appear to indicate the location where the 'moved' photos will be placed, until you let go the mouse button.

ScreenShot436.jpg

3) Release the mous

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Here are my notes on 'moving' photos to re-order in a large Collection-

1) Select (highlight) the [#1 Photo] you wish to ‘move’ into a ‘distant’ Custom Sort grid location,
2) Move/scroll your ‘View’ of the Grid to the ‘Destination’ location in the Grid, (no dragging of photos)

3) Add to the selection of photos with [Ctrl/Cmd + Click] on one [#2 Photo] that is located at the ‘Destination’ location in the Grid,
4) Then hold the [Alt/Option] key and drag the [#2 Photo] left or right (with the left

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you click in the image area itself, and not on the border of the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have set your sort order option to "Custom Sort order"?

Do you have a Smart Collection? If yes, there's no custom sort order avalable.

https://jkost.com/blog/2019/06/tips-and-shortcuts-for-working-with-collections-in-lightroom-classic....

https://jkost.com/blog/2012/02/lr3-how-do-you-change-the-order-of-images-before-renaming.html

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could not see anything pertaining to my ? in either of those 2 links.  I do see that when I select the thumbnail I do not get a black border around the selected image as she does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i actually got it to work ONCE.  not able to do it again.  making sure not to be working in a collection folder that has subfolders.  Not working in a smart collection.

Custom Sort Order  YES

including this screen shot and wondering if everything checked is correct, also maybe there's something in catalog preferfences that is not right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You screenshot shows the sort option for collections and not for pictures in the collection.

Collections in the left panel can't be sorted individually. They sorted in alphabetical order by default.

Take a look here and see if this helps

https://digital-photography-school.com/arrange-files-your-way-in-lightroom/

If this doesn't help please explain exactly what you try to do.

To insert screenshots, please use the "Insert Photos" icon in the toolbar, so that we don't have to download them. 

insert graphic compact.png

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that link deals more with SORTING.  I'm talking about actually MOVING thumbnails from the anywhere within a collection to let's say-the top of the collection.  moving 2 or more thumbnails at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you set your sort order option to "User Order" (see in the linked document) you can move one or more (all pictures that you have selected) on the top of your collection.

Normally the sort order is set automatically to "User Order" if  you move one or more pictures to sort individally within your collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a "User Order"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's "Custom Order".

Which Lightroom version do you use? Please post the exact version.

See @Rob_Cullen answer. He has explain exactly who it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you are at the top-level listing of collections and collection sets. At this level, you are sorting the collections, not the photos, which has  very limited sort options. To sort the images, you need to select an individual collection.

Note: smart collections are dynamic queries into the database and cannot be manually sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am working with just one individual collection.  just sent that screen shot to illustrate my settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the question is 'How to change the ORDER of PHOTOS within ONE Collection.' then- in screen-clips-

1) Select ( Highlight) one photo in a Collection using Grid View

ScreenShot434.jpg   

Note my Sort Order is ScreenShot435.jpg

2) Drag it (the one photo image- NOT by the grey border!!) to another location in the Grid of photos.

A thumbnail of an 'image' will indicate the move and a dark line will appear to indicate the location where the 'moved' photos will be placed, until you let go the mouse button.

ScreenShot436.jpg

3) Release the mouse button and the photo is 'moved' in the Collection.

ScreenShot437.jpg 

Note the Sort Order has changed automatically to "Custom Order" ScreenShot438.jpg ie. YOU have set the ORDER to your wants.

To Move TWO or MORE thumbnails at the same time-

1) Select TWO or MORE thumbnails (hold [Ctrl] and click the photos)

2) Drag and drop in the same manner as for one image. To the location indicated by the black line (between other photos, or beginning or end).

ScreenShot440.jpg

ScreenShot441.jpg

You cannot 'move' photos to achieve a Custom Sort if you are-

a) In a Smart Collection

b) Viewing a Collection SET of sub-collection images.

c) In a 'parent' FOLDER that contains sub-folders of images.

Sorting images in a Collection does not change or affect how the same images will sort in Folder view.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let's say you have 100 thubnails in a collection and you want to move some images from the bottom to the top.  the way you have suggested (which I have always ben doing) can be a little time consuming.  Julieanne suggested a much faster way which ONLY invloves highlighting the thumnails you want to move THEN going to the top of the collection and highlighingt the thumbnail you want these images to be moved to and then drag from the center of this one highlighted image to either the left or the right and VOILA you have moved the selected thumnas.

i have tried the above method several times and only got it to work once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should work every time, provided you do it correctly. The key is that, after having selected the images you want to move, when you go back to the top and want the select just that one more image where you want the images moved to, to have to remember that you MUST press Ctrl/Cmd+click on that single image. If you just click on it, yes it will select that single image but the original group of selected images will be un-selected, so only the one selected image moves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think we are finally on the same page but I still can't get it to work.  am using an Imac.  are you saying to press ctrl and command + click at the same time?

one i press ctrl/cmd I get a long menu that opens up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No....Ctrl/Cmd means either Ctrl OR Cmd depending on your OS (Ctrl on Windows, Cmd on Mac). So, just Cmd+click in your case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

according to Julieanne's tutorial, when you click the thumbnail at the top of the collection your supposed to get a black border surrounding the image.  I never get that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The black border should appear when you start to drag the selected image, it doesn't initially appear when you Cmd+click on it, but as soon as you drag just a tiny bit the black border should appear. And it doesn't stay there long, because as soon as you reach the border of the next (unselected) image it will be replaced by a solid black line in front of the unselected image which indicates where all the selected images will be placed when you release the mouse.

Why don't you try it first on a set of images that are visible in the grid so you can verify that they stay selected when you Cmd+click on the additional image before doing the drag and drop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my notes on 'moving' photos to re-order in a large Collection-

1) Select (highlight) the [#1 Photo] you wish to ‘move’ into a ‘distant’ Custom Sort grid location,
2) Move/scroll your ‘View’ of the Grid to the ‘Destination’ location in the Grid, (no dragging of photos)

3) Add to the selection of photos with [Ctrl/Cmd + Click] on one [#2 Photo] that is located at the ‘Destination’ location in the Grid,
4) Then hold the [Alt/Option] key and drag the [#2 Photo] left or right (with the left mouse button).
The [#1 Photo] will re-locate next to [#2 Photo].
It also works with a multiple selection of [#1 Photos]- they move as a group next to the [#2 Photo].

Think of this analogy- You are ‘Pushing aside’ one photo (the #2) to allow other photos (the #1 photo or group) to ‘slot into place’.

A short video on the method-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qavzg01i9a1ddpv/Collection%20Sort.mp4?dl=0

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SUCCESS!!!!!!!  Thank you all for contributing and especially you Wobert.   My mistake was holding down the cmd key and dragging.  

Correct way is to hold down the OPTION KEY and drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! And thanks to @Jim Wilde  for clarifying the [Ctrl/Cmd] and "black lines".

If I knew more about Macs I should have used [Alt/Option] in my notes. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes and kuos to Jim as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rob_Cullen you might want to check out one point in those instructions. Certainly on my Windows system (and I expect Mac to be the same) there is no need to hold down the Alt (Opt on Mac) keyboard modifier when dragging the selected images into a different order. So the actual sequence would be:

- select the images to be moved

- scroll to the place you want to move them to

- Ctrl/Cmd + click on the single image adjacent to the target insertion point (release the Ctrl/Cmd key when done)

- move the cursor to the centre of the single selected image, hold down the left mouse button and drag to the insertion point, then release the mouse button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines