Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to not include Metadata in Export from Lightroom

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,

I have run into a strange thing. I export my images from Lightroom and always set the settings to "copyright & Contact data only". But all the EXIF and all the XMP and all the ICC data are always exported too. Usually, I don't mind, but wonder what it actually does to put the settings to "copyright only" if it still exports all metadata?

I know there are external tools, but would love to be able to remove some of the metadata within adobe, or better only export the metadata I choose. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot, 

Jordana

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but wonder what it actually does to put the settings to "copyright only" if it still exports all metadata?"

An easy question to answer. Try it yourself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @dj_paige,

well, as mentioned in my post I already did (for years) and expected it would remove all metadata except the copyright.

But it doesn't. That is why I started the thread. When I export the Images and choose „copyright only“ all metadata (EXIF; XMP; ICC) are included.

So I try to find out how to select the metadata I want to export in the pictures because the Lightroom Export doesn't do that - at least for me. 

Jordana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I choose "Copyright Only" when I export, none of the camera settings or any other metadata (except for Copyright) appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as dj_paige. Se;lecting Copyright only only includes the copyright.

Where are you viewing the metadata for the exported file? Maybe both dj and I are missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, I tried various tools after a colleague mentioned that all my metadata is included. Because I always choose export only copyright I assumed there are no metadata

one of the tools i tried is : http://metapicz.com/#landing

I have attached Screenshots from the results, as you can see that is quite some metadata for Copyright only. I also attached a screenshot with the settings I use, I am aware it might be a mistake on my side but don't know where to start.

Thank you for your help and effort.

Jordana

canon_screencapture-metapicz-2020-08-01-15_15_02.pngSony_screencapture-metapicz-2020-08-01-15_15_52.pngScreenshot 2020-08-01 at 15.18.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second Screen Shot you included is not from an Exported JPG file. It looks to be from a RAW Sony file (and not sure why you blurred out the image itself as you didn't with the JPG).

I do get some info from that site but it is, IMHO, meaningless.

It seems that LrC is leaving some type of Metadata, which IMO is meaningless, and if you want to completely strip all info but the copyright info you might need to use some other system to strip all of it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help.

-> (and not sure why you blurred out the image itself as you didn't with the JPG). - does it matter? There is a person on it and I value privacy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is as expected, you are just fooling yourself with this website. There are no camera metadata and no EXIF metadata apart from some basic jpeg fields, just as expected. The only 'metadata' you see are parts of the sRGB ICC-profile. As that profile is embedded (you can't export without a profile), this is to be expected too.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working with a RAW file to start or some other type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesn't matter if it is the Canon .DNG or the Sony .ARW  file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the screen capture it appears that you placed both the original raw and the exported into Metapicz and it is showing data for both images. Its likely they were stacked together in your Catalog. See my screen capture.

Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 9.50.39 AM.pngScreenshot 2020-08-01 at 9.57.28 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @DdeGannes,

hmm... I have no idea. I click on the picture, right-click, say export to harddrive, choose only copyright.... maybe there is some improvement on this? Could I do it differently?

Thank you all for your advice,

Jordana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is being displayed for the JPG image you ran through that website has No Meaning, Is Meaningless.

Like the Technology field "Cathode Ray Tube Display". The only place you find CRT displays today are in Computer and TV Museums or your basement if you are of the Hording type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I export the Images and choose „copyright only“ all metadata (EXIF; XMP; ICC) are included."

I'm not seeing that with LR Classic 9.3 on my Windows 10 system. Unexplained behvaior is often due to a corrupted LR Prefernces file. Try resetting it as outlined at the below link. Close LR, remove the Preferences file, and place it on your desktop. This will allow restoring it if of no help

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is as expected, you are just fooling yourself with this website. There are no camera metadata and no EXIF metadata apart from some basic jpeg fields, just as expected. The only 'metadata' you see are parts of the sRGB ICC-profile. As that profile is embedded (you can't export without a profile), this is to be expected too.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, everybody, for patience and advice.

Jordana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines