• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to open Lightroom 9 catalog in version 8?

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys. My client cannot open the lightroom catalog. He has version 8 of the program. I edited photos in version 9.1. What should I do to solve this problem? The client has no opportunity or desire to update the lightroom version.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

I'm with Ian that the best solution is to save out DNG's for your client to import. Then even if you used, say custom camera profiles, that's all embedded into the DNG container along with edits. Do keep in mind that any functionality in edtiing in a later version that didn't exist in the earlier version, DNG or otherwise, will not 'transfer'. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

I'd like to state that the best case is to have the client upgrade to Lightroom Classic version 9. There's nothing for the client to lose, and it eliminates a lot of work that you both have to go through if one is Lightroom Classic version 8 and the other is Lightroom Classic version 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible. Your client needs to upgrade to Lightroom Classic Version 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has already been mentioned, it's not possible to open a version 9.x catalog in version 8.x However, assuming your client is only interested in the edits and any metadata you may have applied, then there is a solution.

1. Select the edited photos in the Library module, then apply 'Save Metatdata to File' from the Metadata menu (Cmd+S on macOS or Ctrl+S on Windows). This will save the edits and meatdata to an XMP sidecar alongside the original raw. Place these XMP files and the original raws in a folder and give to your client. Your client can then import these directly into his/her Lr 8.x catalog.

alternatively,

2. As above, but export the photos as DNG files. Your edits and metadata will be embedded into the DNG file. Again, give the DNG files to your cleint who can then import them into his/her Lr 8.x catalog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edits made using features not in LR 8 will not show up this way.

An important point made is that "assuming your client is only interested in the edits and any metadata you may have applied" — virtual copies will not transfer this way; collection membership and pick flags and a few other things will not show up this way, so if these are important, this won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Ian that the best solution is to save out DNG's for your client to import. Then even if you used, say custom camera profiles, that's all embedded into the DNG container along with edits. Do keep in mind that any functionality in edtiing in a later version that didn't exist in the earlier version, DNG or otherwise, will not 'transfer'. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd like to state that the best case is to have the client upgrade to Lightroom Classic version 9. There's nothing for the client to lose, and it eliminates a lot of work that you both have to go through if one is Lightroom Classic version 8 and the other is Lightroom Classic version 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines