• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to publish to Instagram from LR with the new Catalina upgrade? .....

Enthusiast ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.........  and now that Catalina has rendered the super effective LR / Instagram plugin .... inoperable.

Hi guys,

I've always used the plugin. Which options do I have at this point?

Thanks a lot,

Raphael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

I change the User Agent in Safari and upload from there. Its a PITA having to sync photos to my iPad or iPhone just to upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best option is to contact the maker of the plug-in.

One of the changes in Catalina was that there are higher standards for the security of plug-in code. Some plug-ins may be disabled by Catalina if they're not sufficiently notarized or security-hardened.

Also, there are no methods of uploading to Instagram from the desktop that are officially approved by Instagram, so it's always possible that Instagram closed the loophole that let the plug-in get away with it.

Either way, the problem probably needs to be fixed by the plug-in author.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Conrad.

But how to publish from LR via an iPhone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a Mac app called Flume. I don't know if it'll work under Catalina, but currently I just export from LR and have Flume set as the post processing step in the export dialog.

On iPhone, you share to Instagram from Lightroom Mobile. Have you been using this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

raphaels28255986 asked: “But how to publish from LR via an iPhone?”

It should be quick and easy if you create a Lightroom collection for Instagram, and then enable syncing of that collection to Lightroom photos in the cloud. When you open Lightroom on your iPhone, it will update that same collection with your latest Instagram photos. Then all you have to do is use the standard iOS Share sheet to send the photo from Lightroom directly to the Instagram app, as shown in the following animation:

Share-from-Lightroom-iPhone-to-Instagram-iOS-13.gif

(Sorry for the rough quality, I crunched down the file size so the animation would load quickly.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Conrad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I change the User Agent in Safari and upload from there. Its a PITA having to sync photos to my iPad or iPhone just to upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lumigraphics.

a) Can you then upload directly from LR, or is there an intermediate step?

b) How do you re-size the image to its original 2x3 aspect ratio, and at what point? If I remember correctly - from centuries ago, there's a little box somewhere to click for that purpose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really simple to do; thanks so much. I hope the algorithm doesn't penalize us for publishing from not-a-phone.

And .... I need to always remember to click on the bottom left of the image to restore the original 2x3 aspect ratio. 

This is the absolute simplest method out there that I've seen. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Catalina has rendered the super effective LR / Instagram plugin .... inoperable."

This issue predates Catalina -- the LR/Instagram plugin has had the following notice posted on its Web page for at least four months:

"Service Note: Instagram has updated their protocol and currently plugin does not work. We are investigating the issue and the plugin will be updated when a fix is available."

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.

I used the plugin until the system asked me to upgrade to Catalina and then it was downhill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Catalina and Lightroom Classic version: 9.2.1 [ 202004070813-7699d98a ]. Despite statements to the contrary from the software author, thankfully, my LR/Instagram plugin (Version 0.6.1594) continues to function without a problem. The only difficulty I had was when I changed my Instagram password and received a login error. This was resolved by approving the device in the Instagram app on my iPhone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm using exactly the same versions but I still have a problem. I changed my Instagram password and now, when I try to reauthenticate the plugin ny logging in in the plugin's dialog, I get 'Login Error'. For a while I was also getting 'Authorisation required' or something similar. I have tried using the Instagram app and the website to trust the device (my desktop PC' but that doesn't appear to have any effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines