Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to rename including a running tally

Contributor ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a large database of images, and have always used this convention renaming in bridge: MMDDYY-XXXXX where the x's are a running tally.

The thing is that when I add the Sequence token to the naming preset in LR Classic, it will list that number (which will not change, remaining static, it then adds a dash, plus a running count starting at one, looks like this: MMDDYY-XXXXX-1, MMDDYY-XXXXX-2, etc.

What I would like it to do is to follow the running tally written as Sequence number so it looks like this:

080821-69700, 080821-69701, 080821-69702, etc.

Any suggestions?  Thank you.

MacOS 13.2.1 Ventura>System: MacMini 2018, 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7<br />macOS 13.2.1 Ventura

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Does it help to set the starting number using the Import Number or Image Number preferences in the Catalog Settings dialog box, as described in the help file I linked to earlier?

Numbering
Specifies three types of numbering: Import, which is a sequential number for each import operation; Image, which sequentially numbers each photo that has been imported into the catalog; and Sequence, which numbers each photo in sequence, letting you choose a new Start Number each time you import. (This element

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe experiment with renaming using the “Image #” token, since the Lightroom Classic help says it “seqentially numbers each photo that has been imported into the catalog”?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Conrad_C

Thank you. I did as you suggested, and that rendered the following result.

MMDDYY-67900289 where 289 is the image import sequential number.

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 2.50.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 2.47.12 PM.png

What I would like to accomplish dovetails with my previous sequencing numbers and looks like this:

MMDDYY-67900, MMDDYY-67901, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

MacOS 13.2.1 Ventura>System: MacMini 2018, 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7<br />macOS 13.2.1 Ventura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that the rename box is dealing with strings. Any + operator is a contactination; there is no math going on.

Instead of the import sequence number, you might want to try the camera's file number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I to understand that LR can not be given a base number to start from and count upwards? Bridge could do it.

Here is a capture from bridge:

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 3.16.59 PM.png

The camera number won't do because I have been assigning a unique number to each image in addition to the date it was imported, now I am up to... well 69,000.

Any suggestions, other than going to Bridge to rename?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it help to set the starting number using the Import Number or Image Number preferences in the Catalog Settings dialog box, as described in the help file I linked to earlier?

Numbering
Specifies three types of numbering: Import, which is a sequential number for each import operation; Image, which sequentially numbers each photo that has been imported into the catalog; and Sequence, which numbers each photo in sequence, letting you choose a new Start Number each time you import. (This element is not available in the Filename Template Editor when exporting photos.) Specify the starting Import and Image numbers in the File Handling tab of the Catalog Settings dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you that worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines