Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to save place removing useless file

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

I used Lightroom 6 before , I have know LRC, but even if I store all my photo in a specific hard disk, I have only Lightroom file in my document and all my Mac 500 Go is full ..

I try to remove Lightroom 6 but I have still many file ( lightroom catalog data, lightroom catalog CAT,mobile download, back up file ( lightroom catalog..irdata or .ircat) some from lightroom 6 ( I suppose old catalog( catalog.irdata) and new version catalog 2.irdata).

What can I do to save place ( of course a copy all this files in hard disk) as I cannot use Photoshop anymore ( message not enough space)

Thanks for advice

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

following

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've succesfully installed Lightroom Classic 9.4 and all of your image files are visible you should now have -2 versions for all of those LR 6 files. You can delete the Lightroom 6 catalog and all associated files. Here's what mine looks like:

LR-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fabrice,

Besides updating to the new catalog as Todd mentions, you DO NEED to get all of your images off of your hard drive. Here's what I've done:

I've taken all of my images and all of my documents off of my hard drive and placed them on an external drive. I also have a 2nd drive that I back up everything that's on drive one onto this one. I do that about once a week or just after I've placed a new group of images from a new shoot. (For syncing the two drives I use Chronosync, I am on a Mac, I do not know if they have a PC version.) I have a 3rd drive that I use for Apple's Time Machine. Lastly, while these backups do protect me from drive failure, I also use a cloud service, I like BackBlaze. 

Also, I keep the catalog and all other LR related files in the image folder on the external drive. This way, everything is backed up in once package.

To move all of your images over to an external drive, Terry White has a good video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9B0lq6GJZc

Enjoy!

Adobe Evangelist Terry White is here to show you how to safely move your photos to another hard drive in Lightroom Classic CC. This method will always ensure that Lightroom knows where your photos are and that you don't end up with the dreaded "?" for missing folders and images. Follow me on ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks todd

It s becoming clearer, if my understanding is correct , I can remove all files with red tag and keep those with green tag.

Only ligtroom classic catalog 2 smartpreview seems not to be here ?

IMG_1819.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I can remove all files with red tag and keep those with green tag."

Yes, with exception of the 'Paramtres Lightroom' folder.' If there is a new copy of that folder then you can delete the one showing here. I'm just not familar with the Mac finder view you've posted. Perhaps someone who's on a Mac can advice. Otherwise I would not delete the 'Paramtres Lightroom' folder.' Anyhow that folder shouldn't be very large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Only ligtroom classic catalog 2 smartpreview seems not to be here ?"

That just means you have never created and used Smart Previews. Not an issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks a lot for your advice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some assist in creating screenshots

Apparently MACOS?

see;

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fabrice,

I use Macs, but I cannot make out your screen shot to help you.

When you are on a screen with a window you want to show us, just press the Command key (also called the apple key), the shift key, and the number 5 at the same time. That launches a screen shot program. You can then drag the corners of the rectangle to fit what you want to capture.

And click Return to take the screen shot. Wait a minute and that screen shot will appear on your desktop with the name "Screen Shot" followed by the year month and date and time and it will be a .png. 

Please upload that so we can help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines