How to stop Face detection

Engaged ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I accidently started face detection and now I cannot stop it

I think I must had done some sort of keyboard shortcut when it started

I checked in catalog preferences- metadata- and the auto face detection was not ticked

I shutdown computer and restarted lightroom but it automatically is detecting faces

PEOPLE is showing on the bar under LIBRARY, DEVELOP

please help!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

I have fixed it !

What I must have done was accidently hit the '0' on the keyboard, which activated the face on the lower bar

I just unclicked the face and now back to normal

Thanks all for helping

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can click on the Activity Center area at the top left corner of the App and in the drop down you will see a option for Face Detection. You can make it paused to stop face detection.08_25ActCtr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when it is paused, the face detection doesn't stop. I can't abort face detection no matter what I do...can you please help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you work out why in the hell it's taking such incredible liberties on my computer without my control?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi photofan,

Please refer the below screenshot and turn off/Pause the Face detection feature from your Lightroom application.

Turn off Face detection Lr.png

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done the above  - paused - face detection is off but the below screen still shows 'people' and continues to look for faces even though I have followed the above and catalog -metadata - face detection is unticked

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 4.11.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have fixed it !

What I must have done was accidently hit the '0' on the keyboard, which activated the face on the lower bar

I just unclicked the face and now back to normal

Thanks all for helping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks for sharing the solution.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is un-clicking the face? How do you do that? I can't figure out how to stop face detection no matter what I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only stops indexing photos in the catalog - but still doesn't stop face detection.

These are two different things. Indexing and detection...

Indexing is done on the catalog and detection on a particular folder within the catalog or last import.

Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Face Detection in a selected folder can be turned on/off (or toggled) with the keyboard [ O ] key  (Ohhh!)

Or you can Mouse-click on the 'People' icon in the Toolbar- again it toggles on/off.

ScreenShot057.jpg

If you do not see the Toolbar- press [ T ] to toggle the Toolbar on/off.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't keep it running long enough to get to the menu, crashes every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPoltrack  wrote

I can't keep it running long enough to get to the menu, crashes every time.

Do you mean that Lightroom is not usable?  What makes it "crash every time"?

Try resetting your Preferences file-

How to set Lightroom Classic CC preferences

Close Lightroom,

Mac OS- Press and hold the Shift + Option + Delete keys.

Windows- Press and hold the Shift + Alt keys.

While holding down the keys, launch Lightroom Classic CC.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that was the ticket

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "feature" of facial recognition is horrible. Let Google do this in the cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Horrible!  Please let the users make their own decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will say that the cloud based Lightroom facial recognition does work. However if you keyword the names it is not persistant. A work-around is to create a collection for a name, sync back to Lightroom CC and add a keyword there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have just saved my day!!!! Funny ways our mind works. I pressed "O" accidentally and with 1000 pics and no time my life became a nightmare. I confess I had never paid atention do that Face Icon that I just had to press to stop the situation. Thanks a lot!

Since we always go to the upper left side process bar, Adobe could fix it and let it be stopped from there, I have lost too much work time with a such simple thing. Many other people may have this problem to.

Thanks a lot again, appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never knew about face detection until this morning when LR suddently started indexing thousands of images. Took over my computer and I've wasted ten minutes figuring out how to stop it. Adobe, you can be really dumb sometimes, and this is one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe please rethink this, it's annoying to say the least!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The person who set this up needs to be beaten with a shovel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a feature what is usefull for a photographer who wants to select photos

U just get distracted so much just because u hit "O"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

U just get distracted so much just because u hit "O"

Is it the "fat finger syndrome"?- Hitting the wrong key when you wanted to Pick

is a toggle key, if face detection pops up just hit a second time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to stop this annoying feature is to click on the "1" monitor button below Import/Export and select "Loupe" from the list of options. This will stop the facial recognition completely. Here's a screenshot: StopFace2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines