• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: HSL Adjustments for Local Adjustment Tools

Advisor ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The addition of HSL controls for the adjustment brush and the gradient tools would be a wonderful advancement and offer LR another great feature set that I'm sure would come in handy for the vast majority of Lightroom users.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 137 Replies 137
137 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic and Camera Raw you use the Range Mask Tool - in Color Mode to select the exact Hue you want exposed to the local adjustment tool. There is an eye dropper for that function...
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. They half assed it again. There needs to be an eye dropper function to select the exact shade/hue of the target color you want to affect. Adobe is king at half asking updates that have been requested for years.
The Local HUE tool works great but like anything else you have to take the time to learn how to use it and apparently you haven't done that.  Like all other Local adjustment tools you have to select what you want changed first.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will take a look. Was in a car accident on Friday and I hadn’t updated anything yet this month. I updated Lr classic earlier today and had a quick look. I’ve taught Adobe software for years so I don’t need a lecture on how to use it. I made it clear in my previous post why I hadn’t updated yet. With the car accident, I haven’t been at the computer much this month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Adobe always half asses their updates. They could really make this a quick use toolinLR but they choose not to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kristi
Sorry, I hope you are fully healed from the accident.  I have played with the Hue tool quite a bit and it works very well but I have found you pretty much have to use the Color Range Mask to make it effective. It seems to work in circumstances I didn't thinK it would work well for.   I think you will like it and find it very useful and will help to not have to round-trip to Photoshop as often for hue changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a big step in the right direction. Thanks guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a big step in the right direction. Thanks guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any particular reason we can't just have the regular HSL tab copy pasted into the local adjustments? Would be a lot simpler than futsing with the Colour Range Mask (which also means you can only effect one colour in a selection instead of 2 or 3) and this new slider.

Would also be great if we could click and scroll wheel this new slider (and also the two different types of mask sliders) like you can with all the other sliders in LR.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new local HSL control is much more selective and has a greater range than the HSL panel controls.
Here's an example using a Graduated filter dragged off canvas to apply the local settings to the whole image. The Color Range control was used to select the color of the purple gems and then use the local Hue slider to change the color to green. The Adjustment Brush could have also been used if you want to target a specific area of the image. You won't get that selectivity and range of hue using the HSL panel controls. To increase saturation use the local Saturation control and for luminance the local Exposure control. Since a Color Range Mask has been applied those settings will only be applied to the selected color area. It's not all that difficult once you understand how to use the Color Range Mask control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rikk and Adobe Team,
this local Hue tools is a very good step. Please implement the Color and Luminance Range Mask in LR (mobile and Desk) to be able to select the areas, then I am happy (for the moment 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While adding hue to local adjustments is a step in the right direction, we're still missing local luminosity. I shoot real estate and would love to change the blue luminosity of the sky without effecting the blues of the house. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you think local exposure does?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,
you have exposure and saturation and also color range mask for the blue.
If you put a gradient on the sky (sometimes outside image) and use the erase brush i think you could select only the sky

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert and Marc, are you talking about LR CC Mobile?
If yes, please explain the steps in detail, that would be great.
Update: Yes, in LR Classic it is possible and we are here in the LrC support category

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,
I have a hard time understanding this new adjustment "improvement". I find the video from Adobe a bit dense for anyone like me.

Does anyone know of a Youtube tutorial where the demonstrator is articulate, speaks in measured tones and whose explanations are on the Dummies level of clarity? 

Thanks a lot.

Raphael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Raphael-  Please see the second demo video here to learn how to use this new local hue adjustment. https://gregbenzphotography.com/photography-tips/automatically-reduce-noise-and-change-local-color-i...

Key is to combine with color range masks, which allow you to change the hue of a specific color, rather than globally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George, your video is super. Makes the point clearly, is comfortable to watch and makes its point with a surprising economy of means. Well done.

I think I'll take a look at that tutorial that distinguishes between Texture and Clarity. And maybe Detail?

A million thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only took 9 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

daaaaaaaaamn you must be kidding me, we made it bois and gurls! they can finely archive 9 years of pain! thank you for being such cool people and our tears didnt go invaine! great fight yall!!!! for 5 years i keep seeing people begging for this! WOW i gotta take a shower i feel hot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not implemented though! HSL refers to hue, saturation ja luminance. I want to take my, for example, radial filter tool, and use same old HSL panel on it. For instance, I want to change the saturation+luminance of blues (again, just within my tool). I don't want to use any other mask to do that, I don't want that hassle. It would be fantastic to just have that same old panel available there, too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change Hue, Saturation and Lumininance (Exposure) with the local sliders now so I don't see what the issue is.  Local HSL is essentially implemented.  Maybe not how you would like to do it but it works well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! It's EZ PZ and waaaay more selective and accurate. Good video tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DBGOGbKTBM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>"It would be fantastic to just have that same old panel available there, too!"
With respect, I do not agree. The Hue sliders in global HSL panel are very restrictive (they only change hue to adjacent colors.  Orange<Yellow>Green). The Brush & Gradient Hue adjustment is 'full spectrum'- much more useful.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say I want to make red tones more intense or light but just inside a selection, selection made with radial filter for example. Can I do that in lightroom? If I have to go over to PS for this task, what would be the quickest way? If it's NOT possible inside LR I very much like to see this feature added!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Saturation local slider, there is an Exposure local slider, and there is a Hue local slider (in the last few versions of LrC). So, select the area of interest, then adjust the saturation, exposure and hue as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate