• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: HSL values option (instead of RBG) under histogram

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't it be amazing if there were an option to have HSL values insted of RBG under the histogram, when doing a mouse over the image in Develop Mode?

As a red/green color blind photographer this would be a brilliant option to nail skintones, among other things.

It is a pretty time consuming to import photos to Photoshop every time to check the hue on peoples faces, when skintones are crucial.

Also it would be a fast way to check the luminance on specific areas.

Hope to hear from someone from Adobe 🙂

All the best

Uffe

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
18 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can submit a feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all product suggestions and bug reports:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/send-bug-report-feature-request-adobe/

Product developers read everything posted there, but rarely participate here, which is primarily a user-to-user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user supported forum. If you want to hear from Adobe I suuggest you post in a different forum where the developers monitor much more closely. Here is a link to that forum.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

Thank a lot 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

Thanks a lot! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious why we don't have the option for HSL values under the histogram? Lab was recently added, yet there are no Lab color options in Classic. Meanwhile, we have mutiple tools within Develop that all use HSL Colors and there's no option to actually measure HSL values anywhere within Lr. Why is there such a massive oversight with respect to HSL values?

In Ps, i've had my workspace setup with an HSL workflow for about 20 years. I find that measuring color in HSL is 100x more intuitive and useful than either RGB or Lab. And if you're colorblind, an HSL readout makes it so much easier to understand what color something is and what it's values are relative to other nearby colors. 
Adobe be the industry leader and please add HSL values to the options under the histogram. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and if you're wondering... here's how i have my workspace set up in Ps to take advantage of HSL(B), with the Info and Color Panels, as well as the Picker. Once you start using HSB, you'll never go back to the confusion that is RGB. 

EarthOliver_0-1646761402374.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added this as an Idea. I previously made the request back in the late 00's, but it's nowhere to be found, so i've re-requested:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/hsl-value-readout/idc-p/12799557

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily nail skin tones using Lab.

Keep the data in RGB and just set the info for Lab. Looking over most of the good skin tone reference files I have, including the Roman 16*, aStar and bStar are often numerically very close and never more than 10-12 values difference. As seen here:

http://digitaldog.net/files/SkinToneLAB.jpg

SkinToneLAB

In Lab, the aStar and bStar values are key. Both should be positive values. Both should be within 10-12 values units of each other. If the B value is lower than A, skin starts to appear magenta or pink looking. When B is higher than A the skin appears more yellow. The closer to zero, the more pale.

You may also note that in ACR, the Temperature and Tint sliders are effectively the same as the A & B channels of LAB. The Temp Axis (blue-yellow) equates to LAB B and the Tint axis (Gren- Magenta) equates to the LAB A. 

*https://www.bvdm-online.de/themen/technik-forschung/standardwerke/roman16/

Here's a video on correcting skin tones without having to resort to CMYK:

Low Rez (YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWaFDKrNrwc

High Rez
http://digitaldog.net/files/SkinToneVideo.mov

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the impression, trying to get in contact with Adobe developers is next to near impossible to suggest product improvementsquote

Not at all: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/1238...

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/send-bug-report-feature-request-adobe/

Which is what we have here with three votes.

Of course, LR can show you Lab values.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply. 

LAB values are difficult to understand, much like RGB values.

HSL values would be a far better solution. We have three users in this thread that use HSL in photoshop regulary to monitor skin tones, and I imagine there are a great many other in the Adobe community who would benifit from the addition of HSL to the Histogram value display

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything new or unfamiliar is difficult to understand. 

"Learning is not attained by chance. It must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. "-Abigail Adams

If you grew up on the metric system, the US system is difficult to understand and vice versa. 

Lab and RGB are easy to understand with an attempt and just a little study.

Lstar is simply Lightness separate from color. a* is the Red/Green color values, b*: Blue/Yellow Values. The video on correcting skin tones is easily learned. 

RGB is simple too; when R=G=B in a Working Space, you have a neutral. 

If you don't understand RGB, you don't understand how Histograms work (and there's a video for that too, just ask). 

HSL values would be isn't a  far better solution; it's a different scale. Suggesting it is a better solution is like saying the metric system is a better solution which again, is just a different scale.  

You tell us: "We have three users in this thread that use HSL in photoshop regulary to monitor skin tones, and I imagine there are a great many other in the Adobe community who would benifit from the addition of HSL to the Histogram value display"

Well get them to vote, otherwise, nothing will happen here. The facts are, Lab and RGB values have been in Photoshop for many decades, with perhaps millions of users being able to follow this scale. Maybe you can't. Maybe you can get more votes here (zero guarantees anything new from Adobe will result). Or maybe you can try learning the scale of color Photoshop has been using since 1990. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I prefer HSL to RGB and Lab readout of color, is that HSL only uses one constant value for tone... which for skin tone, is what your trying to find.

RGB uses a fluctuating combination of three values, and Lab two values.

They all ultimately provide the same data, just displayed in a different way...

But you can have a whole range of RGB values and ab values of color that all add up to the same Hue value.

Hue provides a fast, easy, constant way of seeing a tone value. HSL isolates Hue/tone value, whereas RGB and Lab don't.

HSL has been used in Photoshop too since 1990

Lightroom was always designed to be a faster and easier program than Photoshop to process images. It would make sense to incorporate a color value display that uses one value, as opposed to a combination of 2 or 3 vaues, to display tone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They all ultimately provide the same data, just displayed in a different way...

One simply needs to make an effort to learn the scale. 

HSL has been used in Photoshop since 1990 for readout's where? 

I'm absolutely not opposed to HSL (or LCH) readouts in LR or Photoshop. I just don't ever expect we'll see it. And with a mere 4 upvotes in nearly a year here, that seems more likely the result. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its obviously not a pressing issue for most...

But like the above user who suffers from color blindness, and like to double check color through numerical display values, it would be a handy product improvement. Its puzzling that it is available as a display in Info tab and color picker in Photoshop, and not Lightroom. Especially when HSL sliders are lower down in develop module.

"HSL has been used in Photoshop since 1990 for readout's where? "

Readouts? Im not sure, but I've used since Version 3.0, and HSL has been a display option in Info tab since then, and also as a value display in color picker panel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV#/media/File:Hsl-hsv-colorpickers.svg

I wasnt using Photoshop in 1990, but if this infomation is incorrect, I stand corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been a PS user since V1.07 and AFAIK, never a native HSL readout (HSB?). This is why we may never see this. Maybe an optional Adobe plug-in decades ago as I recall. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hsb-hsl-plug-in-for-cs6/td-p/9983440

Another possible issue with HSL is the color space LR uses would (could) show 'illegal' colors considering it is based on ProPhoto RGB of which there are RGB values that are not within the scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attention: Adobe Developers

In Lightroom, can HSL values please be added as a display option below the Histogram in develop module

Lightroom.jpg

This option is available in Photoshop, as shown here

Photoshop.jpg

I am color blind, and regularly check skin tones by moving cursor over image in Photoshop to see the Hue value. Hue is the easiest value to use as reference for skin tone, as a single value, rather than a combination of RGB or Lab values.

It would be great if this could be done in Lightroom too.

many thanks

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always wished that there was a preference for how the color sampler info is displayed under the histogram. When I'm tuning colors in skin tones, the ability to see the colors represented as Hue, Saturation, and Brightness is beneficial. RGB colors are pretty useless except for picking neutral gray. The ability to choose sample size as is available in Photoshop would also be beneficial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quoteWhen I'm tuning colors in skin tones, the ability to see the colors represented as Hue, Saturation, and Brightness is beneficial. RGB colors are pretty useless except for picking neutral gray.

And as outlined earlier, there is Lab for that kind of color correction,

Votes

Translate

Translate