• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'd like to rename my Lightroom catalog - how do I do that?

Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

I'd like to rename my Lightroom catalog. How do I do that? What are the different files/folders that I'd need to rename?

Thanks,

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

In LR, go into Catalog Settings and click Show - this opens Explorer or Finder. Or just open Explorer or Finder if you know exactly where the catalogue is.

Close LR. Now change Lightroom Catalog.lrcat to My New Name.lrcat, and do the same with Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata which will become My New Name Previews.lrdata and the corresponding smart previews folder. Then double click the catalogue file and you're done.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR, go into Catalog Settings and click Show - this opens Explorer or Finder. Or just open Explorer or Finder if you know exactly where the catalogue is.

Close LR. Now change Lightroom Catalog.lrcat to My New Name.lrcat, and do the same with Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata which will become My New Name Previews.lrdata and the corresponding smart previews folder. Then double click the catalogue file and you're done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

My catalog is in a folder (within the Pictures folder) with the same name. Can I change the name of the folder also? Would I simply do that in the Finder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Again, with LR closed, and then double click the catalogue file to reopen LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope no-one minds me re-opening this old-ish post, but for LR Classic, does the same renaming advice also now apply to the  "Lightroom Catalog Helper.lrdata" and "Lightroom Catalog Smart Previews.lrdata" files ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lightroom Catalog Smart Previews.lrdata" files ?

Yes, Rename as in Correct answer.

"Lightroom Catalog Helper.lrdata"?

Can be deleted, it will be automatically re-created with new name of the catalog.

The three files that must be renamed the 'same'-

1. Change {Lightroom Catalog.lrcat} to {My New Name.lrcat},

2. Change {Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata} folder to {My New Name Previews.lrdata}

3. Change {Lightroom Catalog Smart Previews.lrdata} folder to {My New Name Smart Previews.lrdata}

Then double click {My New Name.lrcat} to re-open the Catalog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to reopen this question but I have Lightroom and I accidentally named my main catalog a clients session and I have no idea how to change it. Can someone please help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to reopen this question but I have Lightroom and I accidentally named my main catalog a clients session and I have no idea how to change it. Can someone please help me?

By @Melissa29371373dz3v

Doesn't the answer marked correct provide you with the information you need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI-  Information on "Catalog Rename" in this blog article-

CATALOG-FIND MOVE RENAME

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines