• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I guess better late than never, but another Aperture question for 2021...

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems i really can't squeeze it out any longer. My wife has a new M1 i got for her, my two macs are aging, and i don't wantto go past mojave, and i also have a PC in the mix. and a fancy new NAS to decentralize everything.

I think i'm going to make the dreaded (for me, just due to more than a decade in) jump from Aperture to lightroom. 

I downloaded the most up to date i can on my laptop with Mojave (LrC 9). Is the aperture importer built in to LrC still the best option? I've seen other things on the App Store, Avalanche Unlimited, and heard of other things.

I do have a relatively small broken out library i can test this with before doing the rest, but i just wanted to check in with anyone who might still be hanging on or has done this recently if they have any snags to recommend.

Also, can we just go directly into Lr now instead of LrC, is there a reason to do either? 

Thanks!

Will be cross posting in Lr as well just in case it gets more traffic.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, can we just go directly into Lr now instead of LrC, is there a reason to do either? 

That's up to you, we don't know what features you are looking for. Here is a brief comparison of the two.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic/lightroom-cc-vs-lightroom-classic.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The built-in Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in is buggy, unmaintained by Adobe, and can't practically import a Aperture library with more than a few tens of thousands of photos unless you split the library into smaller libraries.

A number of people have reported in the forums that Avalanche works very well and is worth the money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good info, thanks. A friend of mine said "it failed a lot" when i asked about his aperture import, so if i have to spend on avalanche i'd rather get the goods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding your Lightroom Cloud vs Classic comparison, a good article is here: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/ . Adobe's marketing materials are not very helpful and tend to steer people in the wrong direction. If you are used to the Aperture model, Classic will be much more familiar but it really depends on how you use these tools. If you often print, do extensive metadata editing (keywords and such), shoot 100's to 1000's of images in a day sometimes, the cloud version is not the right choice for sure. If you mainly shoot on iPhones (lightroom on the phone can nicely shoot real raw files), or don't shoot a lot of images at all, you don't do much sharing of your images (Lightroom cloud is surprisingly bad at connecting with social media), and you like the fact that yoour library (you can only have one!) looks the same everywhere (which is very nice) from iPads to Macs, to windows machines, Lightroom Cloud makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meant to reply here instead of at Lightroom forum. 
I have same question & in similar situation. Want to migrate my Aperture 3 managed library (40k + photos) into recently added LrC on a 2017 MacBook Pro which I updated to Mojave for this import (as recommended by Adobe).  I have 16GB memory. (My LrC library originals will reside on external drive.) 
I read a lot to prep Aperture before getting set up for import.
I am now on day 18 and at 74% done according to LrC import window. It gets slower every day.

Should I Quit and if I do, what next?? I need to get this done to know I have these photos safely out of Aperture when I have to update OS (or my computer dies!) I also need my laptop back since it is held hostage to this import. (Nothing else is open on the computer.)

i have read past complaints and tips on this forum (& elsewhere) but hoped there had been success more recently with this process. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am now on day 18 and at 74% done"

It will likely be the next ice age before it completes. The import plugin uses an inappropirate algorithm that takes time proportional to the square of the number of photos being imported.

One person reported recently that exiting LR (while the import was occurring) and restarting it let it go faster, and he didn't lose the previous photos that had aleady been imported. If that doesn't immediately work, you have two options:

- Split the Aperture library into chunks of no more than 5,000 photos each and import each chunk separately.

- Use the Avalanche program, which a number of people have said works well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @johnrellis for the quick reply 

One person reported recently that exiting LR (while the import was occurring) and restarting it let it go faster, and he didn't lose the previous photos...

I thought I might not have anything to lose by trying the tip above, attempting to Quit Lightroom before stopping the import. Wondered if that tip is listed elsewhere on the forum.
Alas I wasn't able to try because of the almost constant spinning ball with each photo import, the "Quit Lightroom Classic" command remains grayed out, when I am even able to get the drop down. (A brief moment before the next import starts?) The box which shows status of the import does have the "Done" button in "blue". I am now wondering if that will let me stop the import. 
I prefer not to have to Force Quit Lightroom. 

If I can't try the first suggestion, I will probably try creating smaller libraries. Do you suggest I start with a clean catalog or will Lightroom recognize duplicates and only add new photos to what is already there? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recommend starting out fresh with a new catalog. Beware that there are other problems with the Aperture import plugin as well, so you encounter any of those, you might be better off giving Avalanche a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines