Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm losing all the presets when switching the language in the settings

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

So I wanted to switch from German to English and as soon as I did that, all my presets in the left menu bar were gone. Why did that happen? Switching languages should't effect the existing data right?

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that the folder containing the Presets uses German naming and switching to English breaks the path? 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it's acually English terms. But also...all the presets from the past 2 years are gone. Also the ones I externally bought. So at least these should be neutral...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you posted this to:

• Feature requests or wish to add your voice/vote to existing feature requests.
  • Demonstrable bug (repeatable with step-by-step instructions and screenshots).
  • Crash or error troubleshooting.

Adobe engineers and many others monitor this forum and may be able to help.

Please post back your success / learning for others to read. Thanks Stephanie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the same and I am not able to reproduce this behavior.

Which version are you using and on which OS?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am having the High Sierra 10.13.6 on a Mac Book Pro (Retina 15'')..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I teach Lightroom and write magazine articles and books about it, I regularly switch between English (that I normal use for myself) and Dutch (that I use for teaching and writing). I have never seen this on my Mac (running MacOS Catalina) in Lightroom Classic, not in Lightroom. Do you switch catalogs too and did you perhaps store the presets with the catalog?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I know, it is super weird. I am having the High Sierra 10.13.6 on a Mac Book Pro (Retina 15'')..But also...all the presets from the past 2 years are gone. Also the ones I externally bought, even the VSCO ones I bought like 4 years ago.... So at least these should be neutral...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But do they come back when you switch language again?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is your Lightroom version? You've only told us your MacOS version, but that seems to be less relevant. Some screenshot would also be nice.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the newest update 9.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As nobody seems to be able to reproduce what you see, it would be nice to do the following:

1: Answer my question if you stored presets with the catalog and change the catalog too.

2: Just to make sure that we try the same as you: describe all the steps you took when you see this.

3: Post screenshots of this issue

4: Make sure that in both cases you are still using the 9.2.1 version (look at the Help - System Info menu). This sounds like perhaps you somehow switch to a (much) older version when you switch language. Old VSCO presets had troubles upgrading to XMP because they also included custom profiles.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1: No, I didn't. I created presets in the most common way. Add a picture from a folder on my harddrive, created a preset, exported it as xmp or dng (for mobile).

2 +3: See enclosed printscreens:

1) When in German.....

1. in German.png

2) Switching into Engl

2.Switching to English.png

3) When in English...(presets disappear)

3. LR in English.png

(lightroom version in English)

4. latest LR version in Engl.png

4. The version remains the newest (9.2.1)

As you can see when switching to English...all the presets disappear (except these 3 I newly created or imported about 1 week ago. Everything that was already there....disappears. And there are way more than you can see in printscreen 1. Well I guess it could be, that it has trouble to recognize lrtemplate files. But it doesn't make sense to me that in German it's all fine, and only when switching languages it's a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The .lrtemplate files are the old preset type, but Lightroom should update these and place the new versions in the new preset locations, so they should all be visible. 

You should be able to move the old presets out of the folder, restart Lightroom and then reimport them, which based on the recent ones staying, should fix this issue. However the issue clearly looks like a bug. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines