• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm starting over with better organization. Will spotlight comments import along with the pictures?

Enthusiast ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My lightroom was such a mess, so carelessly begun and continued, I'm starting over.

The first thing I'm doing with my zillion photos is I'm getting rid of dupes (of the same size) and organizing in the finder first. I'm on a mac. 

I don't want to change the numbering system I've set up for my negatives, slides, and prints, because that's how I can access the originals.

So right now, in Apple's finder, I'm using Automator to add spotlight comments which are like the tags I'd eventually attach in lightroom. To the Name/Number I'm only adding "LO" "MED" and "HI" help me sort the photos, since lightroom doesn't do that. And this is info I ALWAYS need. Since I do have many similars of different resolutions. And I need to use high res pics when I'm prepping for PRINT.

In the case of scanned prints, they were mostly originally scanned at wildly varying resolutions. In the case of negs and slides, those were all originally scanned at lo res for speed. When I find I DO need to rescan one, I can find the original and do that.

So my question is: When I import all these zillions of photos into lightrooom, will the spotlight comments come along for the ride? Or should I first use the finder to divide my photos into folders? Or...

Please help. I don't want to screw it up again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"When I import all these zillions of photos into lightrooom, will the spotlight comments come along for the ride?"

The easiest way to find out is to actually try importing one or two photos into LR.

"The first thing I'm doing with my zillion photos is I'm getting rid of dupes (of the same size) and organizing in the finder first."

Organization is better done in Lightroom. That's one of Lightroom's great strengths, and it is far superior at organizing than your operating system.

If you are going to start over, then create a new catalog and then you can import your photos and have Lightroom assign them to nice neat folders based upon the capture date of the photo. Then assign keywords, captions, titles, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines