• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I think I need to go Backwards from Lightroom CC Classic to Lightroom before Classic designation. Lightroom CC Classic keeps crashing.

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I need to go backwards from Lightroom CC Classic to Lightroom CC before Classic designation. Lightroom CC Classic keeps crashing and I think it is partly due to the most recent update, and partly because my MacBook Pro has too outdated of a video card for Lightroom Classic and also for OSX High Sierra. I installed High Sierra without realizing its full requirements (video card) (Sierra was no longer an option) so that I could get the more recent updates to Lightroom. I had not been getting updates for quite a while before I realized that my OS was holding it back. The Macbook was noticeably slower but worked, just more slowly. Lately it just crashes and I randomly get notices that pop up even when not using an Adobe app., saying Creative Cloud needs to fix a problem without saying what kind of problem.

The only solution I can see for regaining the blazing speed on my MacBook Pro is to revert it to OS 10.11, which of course means going back to Lightroom CC befor name change to CC Classic. The trouble is I have edited many photos with the newer CC Classic. Is there a way to save the editing done to them when I import them into an older version? Because I can no longer Open CC Classic I cannot export the edits as jpegs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Aha. Yeah that is too old indeed. There is no way to open a Lightroom catalog in a older version that differs by a major ordinal number, so you can't open a Lightroom 7 catalog in Lightroom 6 but you can open a Lightroom 7.5 catalog in Lightroom 7.4. So what you might try is to open the Adobe Creative Cloud app from the menu bar. In there uninstall Lightroom 7.5. Then go back into the creative cloud app, find Lightroom Classic and click on the downward arrow next to install and select "Manage->O

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of MacBook Pro do you have? My main machine is a 2012 MBP that is running Mojave and it runs much faster than 10.11 ever did and runs Classic great.

The crashes indicate a hardware issue or a bad install. Fixing the bad install would necessitate a clean install of the operating system and the Adobe apps. Fixing the hardware issue (if any) would take going to an apple store and having them test the machine thoroughly. One thing to try is to turn of GPU card acceleration in Lightroom's performance preferences.

If you want to get (most) of the edits on your images into an older version of Lightroom, the trick is to write metadata to file on your images. This writes .xmp metadata files alongside your raw images. Importing those in a previous version of Lightroom might get you to see most of the edits. That said, there is no good reason why you couldn't get Classic to work on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My MBP is a late 2011 version 8.2 2.5Ghz Intel quad Core i7 16Gb Ram AMD Raedon 6770m 1024MB.

That is not compatible with Mohave. Video Card is not compatible with Lightroom Classic CC.  I cannot open Lightroom Classic CC so I'm unable to do anything about medadata although I think I've had it set to write it on the images??? I also therefore cannot turn off GPU card acceleration in the performance preferences. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.  I have reinstalled High Sierra a couple of times a fresh install, and a restore install from time machine to a previous version 10.13.5 that had worked previously. I think 10.13.6 killed it. ???

Thanks for your input. any other ideas? Special ways to import catalogs into older LR version??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aha. Yeah that is too old indeed. There is no way to open a Lightroom catalog in a older version that differs by a major ordinal number, so you can't open a Lightroom 7 catalog in Lightroom 6 but you can open a Lightroom 7.5 catalog in Lightroom 7.4. So what you might try is to open the Adobe Creative Cloud app from the menu bar. In there uninstall Lightroom 7.5. Then go back into the creative cloud app, find Lightroom Classic and click on the downward arrow next to install and select "Manage->Other versions" and install a previous version of Lightroom 7, one that worked without crashing before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines