Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want to use capture date in renaming my iPhone 11 HEIC files

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to use the capture date in renaming my HEIC files from my Iphone 11. 

But I am not able to retrieve that from my metadata. I can clearly see my capture date in the LR metadata default column but whatever I try I will not be able to extract that from the EXIF data.

The best date I can get is the modification date I suppose. Sometimes that's 1 or 2 days later but sometimes it's a months later depending when copying these files.

Maybe someone knows what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for your help,

Jaap

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

This probably wont help with your issue but why are you still running Lr 8.3.  Update to Lr9.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows? Which version of the OS?

Which exact version of Lightroom?

Can you link us to an example unedited iPhone 11 photo so that we can see what you are seeing?

The only time Lightroom should be looking at the file dates is when the EXIF dates for "capture" and "edit" are not available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using the following:

Imac version 10.15.4; lightroom classic 8.3 release

one example 

Only thing  I want the capture time added in the name like the result: 20191011_IMG_6425.HEIC instead of IMG_6425.HEIC (or 20200103_IMG_6425.HEIC, which --20200103--is probably the modification date)

Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I can clearly see my capture date in the LR metadata default column but whatever I try I will not be able to extract that from the EXIF data."

By "extract that from the EXIF data", do you mean that when you use LR's Library > Rename Photo command, the rename template is using a date other than the capture date (when the shutter was pressed)?

"HEIC files from my Iphone 11"

How did you import the files from your iPhone?  There are known bugs with capture date importing files via a USB cable or via the Devices section of the Import window. The only way to avoid those bugs is to import via the Files section.  

"one example"

That's a JPEG, not an HEIC.  To make progress on this, we'll need to see the original .heic file -- you can upload it to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This probably wont help with your issue but why are you still running Lr 8.3.  Update to Lr9.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As another data point: Does the reading of the EXIF data work correctly if you use Finder to copy the files from the phone to the Mac, then import the images from your hard drive?

Would need an original HEIC file for testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Actually I was not able to install the new version 9.2.1. Had to de-install the old version and reinstall the new version and now when I rename the photos from library>rename photos the date is the capture date. That's exactly what I wanted. Problem solved. Thanks for all help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines