• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Identical photos appearing from two different cameras

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took photos of an event with two cameras. I downloaded the photos to the same Lightroom CC catalog and some of the photos are appearing twice. The EXIF metadata from one photo indicates it was taken with Camera A and the metadata for the second identical photo shows it was taken with Camera B at a different time. The photos LOOK absolutely identical in every way. I'm using Lightroom CC 7.3.1 on a Mac with OS High Sierra 10.13.4. This is very disturbing since some photos I took are evidently not appearing. The "clones" are appearing rather than the photo actually taken.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What were the preview settings upon import? Try taking a few problem images and run the command Metadata > Read Metadata from FIle, and then generating 1:1 previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I performed the Read Metadata from File and generated new previews. Now I have two identical photos, as before, but both photos also have identical metadata as if they were taken by the same camera at the exact same time.

I may download all photos to a different catalog to see if I have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I downloaded all photos to a different catalog without any problems.

Here is what happened in the original download. First photos downloaded were from a Canon 7D mk II. These downloaded fine. Second set of photos downloaded were from a Canon 5D mk IV. NONE of the previews of the 5D photos appeared. Lightroom simply duplicated some of the 7D photos but added the EXIF metadata from the 5D photos. I have never had this happen before.

This appears to be a bug that can be very detrimental to a photographer's business. If I had not checked the downloaded files carefully and formatted my CF cards I would have lost several hundred photos taken for an important client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I can see how that would happen. Maybe review the process again and see if you can figure out what is happening. We are talking about a regular Import? Any renaming in the Import dialog? These files are definitely in different folders? etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported images from both cameras to the same folder. Images were renamed upon import, something I always do.

I removed the images from the catalog, but kept them in case a review is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may help. There is a strange bug when importing from memory cards if selected from the “Device” menu. The workaround is shown in this thread: Importing Issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I downloaded photos from another event and had the same problem. I downloaded from the Files section of the Source window rather than the Devices section as suggested by another thread on this topic. This did not resolve the problem. I downloaded the files twice with the same problem.

I downloaded the files a third time, but did not change the file names upon import. The problem did not happen this time. Apparently the bug has something to do with the file renaming convention I use on some files. I have been using this file renaming convention for this client for over a year without problems. The bug seems to be new to the latest version of Lightroom Classic.

File naming convention: Date (YYYY)__Date (MM)__Date (DD) Client Name Sequence # (0001)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines