• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Identify photos starred in Lightroom in File Explorer?

Engaged ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the scenario:

I shot a bunch headshots to Lightroom tethered.   As I was shooting, I set 5-star ratings on the photos that the subjects liked.

That's all good, but now I need to send those 5-star raw files to my retoucher.  File Explorer (Windows) lets you search for 5 star attributes, but none are showing up presumably because I'm using sidecar XMP files.

So the question is:  how do I group together the raw files that are starred in Lightroom?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

There's no easy way built-in to LR to identify the 5-star raws in File Explorer, since LR writes the metadata to .xmp sidecars, but File Explorer doesn't search the sidecars.

Two methods of getting the 5-star raws to your retoucher:

1. Use the Library Filter bar to filter the 5-star files. Select them and do File > Export, with the export setting Image Format: Original. That will export copies of the files in raw format along with .xmp sidecars containing metadata and develop settings.  Send thos

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no easy way built-in to LR to identify the 5-star raws in File Explorer, since LR writes the metadata to .xmp sidecars, but File Explorer doesn't search the sidecars.

Two methods of getting the 5-star raws to your retoucher:

1. Use the Library Filter bar to filter the 5-star files. Select them and do File > Export, with the export setting Image Format: Original. That will export copies of the files in raw format along with .xmp sidecars containing metadata and develop settings.  Send those copies to the retoucher.

2. Use the Library Filter bar to filter the 5-star files. Select them and do File > Export As Catalog. Check the option Export Negative Files. Send that exported catalog to the retoucher.  She opens that catalog, makes her edits, then sends the catalog back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i thought of exporting as a Lightroom catalog, but the retoucher will be using Photoshop.  So I think exporting as original (the first option you listed) is the winning the option here.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote “ That will export copies of the files in raw format along with .xmp sidecars containing metadata and develop settings.“

Will xmp sidecars be exported even if “automatically write to xmp is not selected“ ??

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Will xmp sidecars be exported even if “automatically write to xmp is not selected“ ??

Yes. (I had to verify that.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines