Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iMac 2017 fan noise

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've just bought a new 2017 iMac with a Retina 5K 27" display. It has a 4,2 GHz i7 processor and 8 GB RAM. When I'm running Lightroom Classic CC 7.2, the fan of the iMac blows very loud. No clicking noise, but just loud blowing, impossible to ignore. Mostly or maybe only when I'm in the Develop mode, and only with Lightroom. I didn't have this issue with my other iMac which was aprox. 8 years older. Does anyone have the same problem and does anyone know what's causing this problem? Is there a fix? Would upgrading my RAM solve anything?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean it is better in 7.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im Having the exact same problem. its pissing me off big time. I spent $4000 on this iMac and its not as good as my 2013 iMac. When I called Apple, they says its Adobe fault, and im sure adobe is saying its apple fault for making a buggy 4.2ghz i7, and us consumers are just being puzzled and ping ponged between apple and adobe. I believe Apple do have a point, because this problem is only happening in LR no other application i'm noticing it. I really hope this gets fixed to at least get our moneys worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this problem is only happening in LR no other application i'm noticing it.

As explained before, very few applications utilize most of the CPU and GPU, as LR does. So it's not at all surprising that LR causes the fans to come on and other apps don't.  If you don't like that the fans come on frequently when an app uses your computer heavily, complain to Apple.

The very poor LR performance that some experience is a separate issue, and there's no strong evidence that it's related to the amount of CPU usage. For example, my LR performs very well on a MacBook Pro Retina, using the same amount of CPU in Develop as someone with an iMac in which LR performs very poorly: Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 (and 7.3.1) update slowed down my iMac and made fans spin at full speed | P...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines