Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image from Lightroom to photoshop

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

When I want to edit an image I have in Lightroom Classic in Photoshop I do this by right clicking and then editing the image in Photoshop. This works every single time and the image is also being saved properly. However when I want to open the image again this way to re-edit in Photoshop, the layers are gone and they are saved as one image. So I can't change my seperate layers. Is there a way to save / open the image in Lightroom so that I can change the exesting layers?

Right now I am doing it by opening the image in Photoshop at the recent tab and importing them in Lightroom again.

Thank for your help.

Kr

Stijn 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you edit an original with layers IN Lightroom, it gets flattened to apply that edit since Lightroom Classic doesn't support layers. It's actually a flattened copy with those edits from Lightroom Classic. 

If you tell Lightroom Classic to 'Open original' and that original has layers, it is then passed to Photoshop with layers of course. 

So you have to be careful about what and where you apply edits with originals that have layers. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks for the helpfull information! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However when I want to open the image again this way to re-edit in Photoshop

By @Stijn Kistermann

Multiple roundtripping between Lightroom and Photoshop can be a self-defeating excercise in frustration.

Layers and Lightroom adjustments are mutually exclusive. You can have one, but not both.

This is normally a one-way process. Push raw processing as far as you can in Lightroom, then move to Photoshop for things you can't do in Lightroom.

There is one way to go back: open the raw file as smart object from Lightroom into Photoshop. Then you can go back and readjust the original raw data, and still keep your Photoshop layer structure. But this would all be done from Photoshop, not Lightroom.

If you just want to use the Lightroom sliders on an RGB file in Photoshop, a much better way is to use the ACR filter in Photoshop. It will do the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My 2cents worth-  I had to remember that the first image (layered) file created by Photoshop is a new "Original" RGB file, (NOT the same as the 'original' imported to LrC). Thus the advice to always open the TIFF/PSD "Original" from Lightroom to preserve the layers..

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines