Highlighted

Image looks highly oversharpened in Develop module, but correctly in the details preview box

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear fellow Lightroom users,

I have suddenly come across a problem in Lightroom with the images looking way oversharpened in the Develop module.

This problem definitely just emerged in the last two weeks since I last edited a photo, it was all fine before.

Just for clarification, I use both a Panasonic MFT camera as well as a Sony A7 and I only shoot RAW images. Problems occur on all images from both cameras. There are no presets or other settings applied on import.

In the library view, all my pictures look perfectly fine. As soon as I switch to Develop mode, the image displayed in 1:1 ratio looks highly oversharpened, as if I would have upped the setting from 40 (default) to 80 or higher.

But in the small preview window within the "details" toolbox, the image shows the correct amount of sharpening.

To clarify, the image looks less sharp in the details box then in the main develop window. If I switch back to library, the image again looks correctly sharpened. Exported images are also fine.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the reason for this?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Greetings, Jan-Hendrik

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Per Berntsen | Adobe Community Professional

Your develop previews might be corrupted.

Try purging the Camera raw cache, which will delete them.

This is done in Preferences > Performance.

LR-purge-cache.png

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Image looks highly oversharpened in Develop module, but correctly in the details preview box

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear fellow Lightroom users,

I have suddenly come across a problem in Lightroom with the images looking way oversharpened in the Develop module.

This problem definitely just emerged in the last two weeks since I last edited a photo, it was all fine before.

Just for clarification, I use both a Panasonic MFT camera as well as a Sony A7 and I only shoot RAW images. Problems occur on all images from both cameras. There are no presets or other settings applied on import.

In the library view, all my pictures look perfectly fine. As soon as I switch to Develop mode, the image displayed in 1:1 ratio looks highly oversharpened, as if I would have upped the setting from 40 (default) to 80 or higher.

But in the small preview window within the "details" toolbox, the image shows the correct amount of sharpening.

To clarify, the image looks less sharp in the details box then in the main develop window. If I switch back to library, the image again looks correctly sharpened. Exported images are also fine.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the reason for this?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Greetings, Jan-Hendrik

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Per Berntsen | Adobe Community Professional

LR-purge-cache.png

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly this did not help. Images in the Develop module are still looking oversharpened while being just fine in all other views.

Thank you for the tip.

Greetings,

Jan-Hendrik

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 0
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say that the image displays correctly in Library. Is this at 1:1?

If you compare Library and Develop at 1:1, what do you see?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I mean the 1:1 view. In Library, the 1:1 image looks "correct", meaning the sharpness is according the the image settings. In Develop, the 1:1 view is highly oversharpened while in the little viewing box of the Details tool, the part of the image visible is displayed with the correct amount of sharpness.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2020 0
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR-purge-cache.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2020 1
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, that did the trick!

Now that Lightroom has to recreate all previews, the images look just fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2020 0