• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images exporting small file size

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!  I am shooting in raw on a 5D Mark IV and my RAW files are 35 mb but for some reason they're exporting at 1 mb.  I have checked to make sure the export DPI is 300 and 100% original but as a JPEG.  Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong to get good full resolution files exported?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Enthusiast , Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

I'm not sure you have a problem.

First, the RAW file is not an image but just the sensor data. It has to be converted internally by LR into an image. Having said that, the resulting export size will be dependant on and cropping you've done, file type and export settings (e.g. resizing)

For example, one of my 6000x4000 pixel RAW NEF files is 29.7MB. When I export this as a JPG, no resizing, and 100% quality, the resulting 6000x4000 pixel JPG file is 21.5MB.

If I export it as a TIFF, with no compr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

@FW071919 wrote:

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong to get good full resolution files exported?

File size is never a reliable way to evaluate resolution. The second you change file formats, 6720 x 4480 pixels can be a much larger or much smaller file size, depending on how the new format works and what export settings you chose. If your 1MB JPEG export still has 6720 x 4480 pixels, then you got the full resolution out of it. But…

…just having the full resolution doesn’t mean you got fu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

The image being black and white (actually it's desaturated RGB) contributes to the small file size because all three channels are identical.

But the important factor here is the large white areas that compress to almost nothing, as well as the child's smooth skin, that is also slightly out of focus.

All these factors combined makes it possible to have a 2852 x 4278 image with a file size of 1 MB.

image_2021-02-25_095422.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure you have a problem.

First, the RAW file is not an image but just the sensor data. It has to be converted internally by LR into an image. Having said that, the resulting export size will be dependant on and cropping you've done, file type and export settings (e.g. resizing)

For example, one of my 6000x4000 pixel RAW NEF files is 29.7MB. When I export this as a JPG, no resizing, and 100% quality, the resulting 6000x4000 pixel JPG file is 21.5MB.

If I export it as a TIFF, with no compression, the 6000x4000 TIF is 137MB.

The DPI is misleading as it only comes into effect if you have selected a physical dimension like inches or CM's. If you are dealing in pixel's, it's ignored. For example, exporting the images as an 10x8 inch picture at 300DPI results in a 3000x2000 pixel JPG of 5.89MB.

DS256_0-1613849450820.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response!  I apologize I didn't reply sooner.  I thought no one responded but turns out it was going to my spam messages.  I have copied these settings, specifically the resolution.  I believe the issue I was having is little data in my photo as it is black and white.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three things that affect the file size of a jpg.

• Pixel dimensions
  • Quality setting
  • Image content. Flat, smooth, unsharp content = small file. Sharp, detailed, noisy content = large file.

As pointed out by @DS256 , the ppi value is irrelevant for file size,

The 5D Mark IV produces images that are 6720 x 4480 pixels.

What are the pixel dimensions of the exported jpgs?

Would you mind posting one of these 1 MB files here?

Do not attach the file, use the Insert Photos button in the toolbar.

Insert-photos.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I have figured out the reason for the small file size is there isn't as much data in a black and white photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image being black and white (actually it's desaturated RGB) contributes to the small file size because all three channels are identical.

But the important factor here is the large white areas that compress to almost nothing, as well as the child's smooth skin, that is also slightly out of focus.

All these factors combined makes it possible to have a 2852 x 4278 image with a file size of 1 MB.

image_2021-02-25_095422.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also read carefully what @Conrad C wrote below.

The file size of a jpg is not an indicator of quality, because the file size can vary wildly, depending on image content.

To judge the quality (of any file, not just jpgs), view the image at 100%. 

At 100%, one image pixel is represented by one screen pixel, and this the only magnification that gives you a true representation of the image.

If you have a Retina/high resolution screen, you might want to use 200% view, because the screen pixels are so small that everything tends to look sharp and good at 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FW071919 wrote:

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong to get good full resolution files exported?

File size is never a reliable way to evaluate resolution. The second you change file formats, 6720 x 4480 pixels can be a much larger or much smaller file size, depending on how the new format works and what export settings you chose. If your 1MB JPEG export still has 6720 x 4480 pixels, then you got the full resolution out of it. But…

…just having the full resolution doesn’t mean you got full quality, because resolution alone is not a reliable way to measure image quality! Image quality depends on resolution + bit depth + quality of exposure + quality of processing in software (color correction, sharpening) + appropriate export settings that preserve all of the above in the chosen export format. If you get them all right, then a 1MB JPEG might look pretty good.

Be sure to remember two of the points made above:

• File size is not a reliable way to measure image resolution.
  • Image resolution is not a reliable way to measure visual image quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response!  I apologize I didn't reply sooner.  I thought no one responded but turns out it was going to my spam messages.  I believe the issue I was having is little data in my photo as it is black and white and not much data

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with the same camera. Did you by chance figure it out cause I am about to the replace the camera. It's been happening for a 1yr now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other things being equal, provided the image content shows THAT you want - and AS you want - achieving a small JPG filesize is a positive benefit, and not a problem.

A JPG certainly could be artificially bulked-out so far as its file size by adding back in artifical noisiness (grain) and/or by suppressing all noise reduction in the Raw conversion; but this will likely not be to its advantage, in pictorial terms. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Richard, for years I output Jpegs from Raw in both low res for online and high res for print. On average the high res always come out about 29mb. I recently updated Lightroom Classic and now weirdly all my high res files are coming out about 4.6mb.  

For my High Res my output is 100 and I just don't tick the Image sizing box. Any clue on what could of changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kat15A7if you read the above comments, the "same issue" is actually the way things are supposed to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines