• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import by capture time not working in LR classic 9.3

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something I have had trouble with Lightroom for years and always seemed to have found workarounds for, but right now i am on production again and lighroom is failing to sort my images in order once again and none of my workarounds seem to work. I am now stuck with thousands of photos that refuse to properly sort after import and converting to DNG and I need to edit them asap. I'm using LR 9.3 on mac os 10.15.4.

Following workflow during import: "copy as dng", sort "by capture date" and select the folder from the folder view, and not the device view, as that would mess file order since years (nice one adobe!) rename my photos with a a date - name - sequence formula, and generate standard previews after import. 

This fails, photos are imported and named with sequence in a completely random order. On top of that, if I order by capture date, photos only get sorted within the second they are captured. I am shooting fast sports at ~10fps. It is extremly exhausting to sort through sequences that are not in order. 

I consider this a very severe bug in a very very basic core function of this software, and it is right now completely killing my workflow costing me a lot of time. 😞

It is completely beyond me how Adobe is not getting this right after years of malfunctions and workarounds. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, this was 3 years ago. I'd expect adobe to fix an issue this severe within 3 years. Yes, I absolutely do. 

Also I am not syncing with LR mobile so I do not see how this is related to my problem? Tried it anyway, does not fix anything. 

Apart from that, the Bug I am reporting is that I select to import the photos ordered by the capture time via the provided user interface, and Lightroom imports the files randomly. This is a very very severe bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. To get the attention of actual Adobe Techs, and for that  matter, to report a bug. Post your issue at the official feedback site:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom?topi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. One workflow suggestion, rename photos at import. Do not keep default in camera file names. Instead change to a date centric syntax. Often used by pro photographers (tyically landscape pro's)

Rename by syntax:

YYYMMDD_hhmmss  year, month, day_hour, minute, second , note a numeric siffix gets automatically added when shots are during the same second.

This allows sort via filename resulting in via capture date/time. Gets around any OS foul ups with capture time (a MACOS  issue). Gives you an instant bit of knowledge on date/time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, thanks for your response!

I am actually using a date centric data formatter, just not down to hour-second. Also - apart from the issue starting with failed import order - the issue is not fixable since lightroom apparently cannot sort in the sub-second order. When selecting sort by capture time it sorts them all but within one second. At 10 fps this is a problem. so even if I attached the seconds to the filename it would not do anything to remedy the issue. 

I'll file a report, thanks for that link! Even if it is an underlying macos issue, I assume Adobe is big enough to work with apple on fixing low-level stuff like this in a reasonable timespan. This kind of stuff should not be an issue in 2020, by all means. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When photos are in the same secon, LrC upon rename should add a number after to seperate them. Not at a PC just now, forget if a dash or underscore is included or not, but would be something like

20200731_103901

20200731_103901_1

20200731_103901_2  etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines