• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Catalog to New Computer While Keeping Files on Secondary Drive - Hack Possible?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Finally got around to upgrading to a new computer and I'm in the process of moving my pictures and lightroom catalog to my new computer.  I have a problem because my photos take up more than 500 GB and my new C: drive has 500GB (SDD) total space (with a 1 TB SATA secondary drive).  All posts I read say the way to import your old catalog from an old computer is to move the files to the same location on the new computer then just either import the catalog of open it from the new location.  Since my files are bigger than my new drive I want to leave my old files on the secondary drive.  Is there a way to easily edit the old catalog file to simply change the path from c:\users\%username%\pictures\Lightroom to I:\pictures\Lightroom?

I would hate to have to go through and find the missing files for thousands of photos.  Perhaps I'm missing something.

Thanks for any input.  

Mike

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

No hack needed. Just move the catalog to the new computer, connect the external drive with the images to it, and if the image folders are shown as 'missing' then reconnect them: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Couple of things here: First off, to move to a new computer here are a couple of great links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9B0lq6GJZc

and 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Next: space: placing all of your photos on your hard drive is not a good idea simply because you do, or will have) too many photos taking up too much valuable space. Remember that your system and the applications need room to work in. 

I strongly suggest that you move all of your photos to an external drive. This drive should be a fast drive using the latest in connection (e.g., NOT USB 2.0). However, there does have to be a compromise between cost and size. Thus, all SSD drives for say 4 TB is going to be a ginormous cost. Perhaps a very reliable 4 TB HD with the Thunderbolt connections? This is your call, it's your money.

But whatever external drive you get BE SURE to have it backed up. This back up drive does not have to be the fastest available, just reliable. 

(FWIW, I also have a cloud service encase the house gets burnt down. I like sleeping whenever possible.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No hack needed. Just move the catalog to the new computer, connect the external drive with the images to it, and if the image folders are shown as 'missing' then reconnect them: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All posts I read say the way to import your old catalog from an old computer is to move the files to the same location on the new computer then just either import the catalog of open it from the new location.

There is no importing photos or importing catalogs in this process. None. Zero zip zilch nada. Please follow the instructions at the links already given ... follow those instructions exactly as they are stated. Do not add in additional steps. Do not Import anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your information.  After reviewing the information, I think I've got it.  Looks like the link for fixing missing pictures is going to do it.  I've fixed individual missing files in the past similarly, but just didn't think there was a way to globally do this.  I was looking for the wrong answer.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines