Highlighted

Import DNG files in Lightroom Classic CC

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

somebody can help me with this problem?

In Lightroom CC Classic, I can't import DNG Files..

anybody has a solution?

I am not able to duplicate this problem.

Have you tried exporting as DNG and then checking the box "Add to This Catalog" instead of trying to import the exported DNG?

"My other question is: there is a possibility to save a raw files with all the history modification outside the software...to storage in a external  drive???"

This is not the way Lightroom Classic was designed to operate. The edits are stored in the catalog file, so if you ever need them, all you need is the catalog file and the original RAW. What you are describing (I think) is not necessary and not a good way to "archive" things. You can move the photos to an external drive and leave them in Lightroom Classic, so the edits are always connected to the photo.

You can have the edits written to a "sidecar" xmp file, but only certain Adobe software can read these edits and properly make use of them. And this is not a recommended way of "archive". And the sequence of steps in the edit history is not saved this way, only the final edit is saved.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Import DNG files in Lightroom Classic CC

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

somebody can help me with this problem?

In Lightroom CC Classic, I can't import DNG Files..

anybody has a solution?

I am not able to duplicate this problem.

Have you tried exporting as DNG and then checking the box "Add to This Catalog" instead of trying to import the exported DNG?

"My other question is: there is a possibility to save a raw files with all the history modification outside the software...to storage in a external  drive???"

This is not the way Lightroom Classic was designed to operate. The edits are stored in the catalog file, so if you ever need them, all you need is the catalog file and the original RAW. What you are describing (I think) is not necessary and not a good way to "archive" things. You can move the photos to an external drive and leave them in Lightroom Classic, so the edits are always connected to the photo.

You can have the edits written to a "sidecar" xmp file, but only certain Adobe software can read these edits and properly make use of them. And this is not a recommended way of "archive". And the sequence of steps in the edit history is not saved this way, only the final edit is saved.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Past that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

ExampleExample

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, please post a screenshot if your Import screen

Please use the Insert Photo button.png

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, what camera?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schermata 2020-08-09 alle 20.05.24.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NIKON D5600

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So nothing odd about the camera. Not some camera storing photos in a propriatory DNG format, so not a non total ADOBE spec DNG issue. Only a very few cameras doing that. I think some Lica, and a Hassabald unit in a Drone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines