Highlighted

Import does not create index numbers in capture time order

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at this screen shot to show what a mess LRC makes of the index values added to file names when importing from my camera's memory card inserted into my computer. This is the grid view sorted by file name, and thus in the order of the index values that LRC adds during the import. You can see that the various sets of shots are mixed up all over the place. This is terrible when I am stacking images; I sort by capture name in order to group for stacking, but then when I am viewing by file name then each I change the stack order that stack jumps to a new place in the grid order.

I am using Loupe view to choose which images I want to include in the import, then selecting to import while renaming the file to be "yyyymmdd_custom name_index #.dng". Why are the index numbers not in capture time order? This makes no sense and makes this process very difficult to work with. How can I alert Adobe to this defect in LRC?

Topics

Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Import does not create index numbers in capture time order

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at this screen shot to show what a mess LRC makes of the index values added to file names when importing from my camera's memory card inserted into my computer. This is the grid view sorted by file name, and thus in the order of the index values that LRC adds during the import. You can see that the various sets of shots are mixed up all over the place. This is terrible when I am stacking images; I sort by capture name in order to group for stacking, but then when I am viewing by file name then each I change the stack order that stack jumps to a new place in the grid order.

I am using Loupe view to choose which images I want to include in the import, then selecting to import while renaming the file to be "yyyymmdd_custom name_index #.dng". Why are the index numbers not in capture time order? This makes no sense and makes this process very difficult to work with. How can I alert Adobe to this defect in LRC?

Topics

Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 02, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps because you do not include timein your name if sorting by file name

I have no idea what you want in custom name, and not sure why index in the name.

Personally I like to rename using

YYYMMDD_hhmmss

Note that if two or more images occur in the same second, LrC will add a suffix.

You could always add to that.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should insert your screenshot, not attach it, very annoying, requires extra step to view

Instead:

Please use the Insert Photo button.png

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screenshot, in the cells, file names are not shown, that would be helpful. That index is not all that helpful, most users probably ignore it.

Also, would be nice to see sort order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not clear. The index numbers are not supposed to be tied to files. They are simply a reference to the position of an image in the current grid view. Because they are not tied to files they are not used in any other module. (I haven’t found them very useful, so I turn them off.) An easy way to see this is to manually sequence images by dragging them around in a folder or collection. If index numbers are on, you will see that the index number sequence never changes no matter how you rearrange the images by sort order or by hand. The index numbers label the grid squares, not the images in the grid.

If the problem is between file name sorting, capture time sorting (if that is what you meant by “capture name” in your post), and stacking, then we might be able to figure that out if you can clarify what you mean more specifically.  It would help to see the toolbar at the bottom with the sort order shown.

If there is a real problem here, the answer to your question about how you can alert Adobe is to submit a report under Problems at the official Lightroom Classic Feedback site. There, reports can be voted up and discussed if other users see the same thing, and Adobe may respond especially if they need more information. In version release notes, fixed problems are usually linked back to their original public reports at the Feedback site.

But in this case it appears to be working as expected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So people don't have to download the image you have attached to your post please Edit your post to remove the Attached screen shot and Include it in the body of the text of your post.

You do that by Clicking the "More..." link at the bottom of your post, Selecting "Edit Message" and then use the "Insert Photos" icon in the tool bar at the top of the Post/Reply/Edit dialog box like this.

2020-06-07 19_13_42-Camera Raw Brush tool problem - Adobe Support Community - 11189555.png
Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2020 0