• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import file corruption when import new files to existing folder

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest 7.0.1 release LR classic seems to have a serious import bug.

I imported files from a CF card into a new folder as I normally do. This is fine. However I then imported a second set of files from a different card into the same folder and LR seemed to create new catalogue entries for the new files however these entries were pointing to previous import files!! Something is going seriously wrong when importing new files to an existing folder. If I tried to delete all imported files before trying again LR reported an error.

LR has served me well for years - this latest update has serious flaws!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add some more info here. I auto rename the import files with the template:

{Custom Test}_{Date (YYYYMMDD)>>}_{Sequence # (001)>>}

No custom text is set. So it appears the second import recreates names of existing files from the first import, and somehow mixes up the cat entry along with metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you put a screen shot of what you are seeing please?? I am no clear about what you are ending up with. Maybe the Import Window too showing the entire screen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I end up with is files with new metadata of the new file but containing the picture of the old file. It is a real mish mash of the meta data and the picture data. I convert to DNG on import. See my reply below for more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time you do an import with the sequence option, and 001 as a starting point along with the date as you have specified, "IF" those images are shot of the same day, date, some or all files will be overwritten or an import error will occur.

I just did a test. I took 20+ images and imported them. Then I took another 10 images and imported them.

My import preset is to create a dated folder and copy the images from the card to that folder. On the second import I had no problems with the new import overwriting the first set of images I imported. That is because I don't rename them or give them any custom text or add a sequence #.

So it is Not LR that has a bug but your naming options and sequence numbering for more than one import into the same folder as a previous import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand where you are coming from on this but I am certain that in previous versions that LR would determine the new name for the file, and if it already existed, would change the name further in order to avoid a conflict (it adds a '-2' - I just checked a folder where it did work). This is now not happening.

Even worse my imports were from 2 different cameras - a Canon 7D and G15. When I import I also convert to DNG. I now have files that have been taken on a Canon 7d with a 6.1-30.5mm lens!! The meta data has been completely mangled.

Your suggestion to not rename on import does work - I will use it as a work around for now. But there is definitely a new bug here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me request a staff member look in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. I did a more controlled test. I took 10 pics of a screen, stating which camera, with each camera. 5 with the G15, 5 with the 7D, then same again.

I imported the 7D card first, followed by the G15.

No '-2' files were created. I have 20 pictures in the folder - all showing 7D - however 10 of them are showing G15 metadata.

In the import folder there are in fact 20 files. 10 DNG files from the first import, and 10 CR2 files which appear to be the G15 files! So it looks like the conversion to DNG has gone wrong. The catalogue thinks it worked and points to the wrong DNG file!

Here are my import settings.....

I have an import preset you can pick up here Dropbox - Vic default import.lrtemplate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, usually I would recommend posting on Photoshop.com where feedback is best placed but I have requested stafff to check this thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a further update. Since the files were actually there but as CR2 files I figured the issue was associated with converting to DNG on import. My hunch was correct - the problem only shows up when you convert to DNG on import. If you just copy then the problem does not occur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines