Import overexposed 1 stop from Canon 6D Mark II

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all the images RAW imported from my Canon 6D Mark II are overexposed by 1 stop - all the settings are at zero when I import. The histogram in my camera and the histogram in Lightroom do show about 1 stop difference.

Can someone explain why this happens?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Import overexposed 1 stop from Canon 6D Mark II

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all the images RAW imported from my Canon 6D Mark II are overexposed by 1 stop - all the settings are at zero when I import. The histogram in my camera and the histogram in Lightroom do show about 1 stop difference.

Can someone explain why this happens?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 15, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over exposed compared to What?

If you are looking at the cameras LCD of the same image and the one in LR look brighter there could be several reasons.

1) Your monitor brightness needs to be lowered.

2) Somehow you have set the Default develop settings to lower the exposure by one stop. this is doubtfull as thaty would show up in the Develop modules Basic settings section.

3) You have the camera set to decrease exposure and those In Camera Settings only apply to the JGP output. Which in every RAW file there is a embedded JPG image that the camera used for LCD display and that JPG uses the In Camera Settings.

So check the camera and make sure it is set to all zeros for in camera processing. Then TEST.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2019 0
Advocate ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you see on the camera is a jpg made for display purposes. Also the histogram and the overexposure warning are derived from that jpg. The jpg has been processed by the camera according to whatever settings you have put into the camera for jpgs, such as Picture Style, Auto Lighting Optimisation, Highlight Priority, etc. It is not unusual for that jpg to be quite different from Lightroom's initial default processing. It is easy to change LR's defaults to be more like what you expect, but it makes more sense (to me) to see the LR defaults as a starting point and work from there.

There is no "right" or "wrong" processing of a Raw image, only endless possible variations and the ones you like best. And as long as the Raw image has not been clipped at the white end, the best exposure for low noise and detailed shadows is the one that is brightest, even if during the processing you need to darken some parts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your camera's firmware version, which is currently at 1.0.4.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 15, 2019 0