Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import photos from a folder associated with a library folder

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Case:

- I browse through a library folder and inspect photos. I only see the photos in the library folder.

- I decide to see all the photos in the folder on the hard disk associated with this library folder. So I press "Import"

- The "Import" - dialog opens

I want to see the content of the folder on the hard disk associated with the library folder I just inspected.

How do I do this ?

(This irritates the hell out of me. On the left side a random folder is selected. It´s like LR wants to make it as difficult as possible to import a photo or inspect the images in the folder on the hard disk)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Let's back up and make sure we're talking about the same thing with the same terms.

There is no "Library Folder" in LRC. Question: is there a thing on the PC called Library Folder(s)? If so, I apologize for not being all up on PC terminology and that threw me off.

For your #d, I can suggest an alternative to a 1-click option: drag that folder over the Grid view in LRC while in Library mode. That will cause LRC to automatically switch to Import mode with THAT FOLDER ALREADY SELECTED. 

You w

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

"Import photos from a folder associated with a library folder"

To build on Gary's reply:

- If you want to see the photos in an on-disk folder, right-click a photo or a folder in the LR Folders panel and do Show In Finder / Explorer.

- If you want to see the Library folder containing a photo in Library grid view, right-click the photo and do Go To Folder In Library.

- If you want to import photos from a disk folder that's already showing in the Folders panel, right-click the folder in the Folders

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried right-clicking on an image in LRC and select "Reveal in Finder/Explorer?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I right-click on an image in the library I see a menu item "Show in Explorer". Do you mean that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes (slightly different wording on the Mac that's all)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I repeat and clarify my use case:

a) I browse through a library folder and inspect photos. I only see the photos in the library folder.

b) I decide to see all the photos in the folder on the hard disk associated with this library folder. So I press "Import".

c) The "Import" - dialog opens

d) On the left side of the "Import" - dialog the hard disk folders are displayed

Is there a 1-click-function to select the folder I inspected under a ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

b) I decide to see all the photos in the folder on the hard disk associated with this library folder. So I press "Import".

Right click on one of the photos in that folder and select Show in Explorer / Show in Finder. Why are you clicking on Import if you want to SEE the photos in the hard disk folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question. I clarify my use case:

a) I browse through a library folder and inspect photos. I only see the photos in the library folder.

b) I decide to see all the photos in the folder on the hard disk associated with this library folder and import further photos.

c) I press "Import".

d) The "Import" - dialog opens

e) On the left side of the "Import" - dialog the hard disk folders are displayed

Is there a 1-click-function to select the folder I inspected under a ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your use case keeps talking about you want to "see" photos ... and yet you don't seem to say what happens if you click on Show in Explorer/Show in Finder, which WOULD definitely let you see photos.

So, what do you really want to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clarified the use case. "see" was not precise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's back up and make sure we're talking about the same thing with the same terms.

There is no "Library Folder" in LRC. Question: is there a thing on the PC called Library Folder(s)? If so, I apologize for not being all up on PC terminology and that threw me off.

For your #d, I can suggest an alternative to a 1-click option: drag that folder over the Grid view in LRC while in Library mode. That will cause LRC to automatically switch to Import mode with THAT FOLDER ALREADY SELECTED. 

You will still need to go to the right side and select where to place these images and create a new folder for them if needed/wanted. BTW, when I import new images, I typically have already created a new folder in the Library mode ready to receive the new images during the Import process. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Definition "Library Folder": When LRC is in "Library"-Module (as opposed to "Develop", "Map", "Book"...) the strip (is that the correct term ?) on the left side shows several panels: "Navigator", "Catalog", "Folders", "Collections", "Publish Services". The "Folders" panel shows my hard drives and underneath it (in the tree view) the folders, which contain the photos in my library. These folders I call  "library folders", because they are folders, which contain the photos in my library. I now understand that the official LRC documentation uses the term "folder", not "library folder". (I like "library folder" better, because it makes a distinction between the folders on my hard disk and the folders that contain images in my library/catalog.) This has nothing to do with a "PC"-terminology. You don´t have to excuse for that, man. YOU ARE HELPING ME. Once we have defined the terms, the rest is a cinch. This "definition"-phase might seem like a detour, but it´s actually the shortest way.

2) You wrote "drag that folder over the Grid view in LRC while in Library mode. That will cause LRC to automatically switch to Import mode with THAT FOLDER ALREADY SELECTED."

Yes, I want this sort of outcome. I tested your suggestion and it worked. I took the hard disk folder (i.e. from the Windows Explorer) and dropped it onto the "Grid view"-symbol in the library module toolbar. In fact it can be dropped anywhere on the library module toolbar (not only the "Grid view"-symbol). That is a big step towards a solution.

How can I achieve this outcome within Lightroom, i.e. without the detour via the Windows Explorer ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a big suggestion/request to you. When you are asking people for help, it is very important to use the terms that are used by everyone else even if you do not like them. If I like the term "image replicator" more than photograph, I would be driving people crazy trying to figure out what in the heck I was talking about. If you want Adobe to reconsider the name they have for ANYTHING, please be my guest and ask, But to use your term instead of what is the standard term used, please save that term when talking to friends who can then ask you "what???"

To answer your new question, you can't. That's as good as it gets.

Sorry I cannot help you any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gary,

now I´m confused.

1) You wrote "...it is very important to use the terms that are used by everyone else..."

I agree, that would be the perfect world.

When I post a question in this community I

a) do it, because I´m not an expert and I'm looking for help (obviously)

b) don´t know, what terms "everybody" is using. A look into a manual might help, but isn´t always a solution. And I will not browse through posts for hours on end to find a term "everybody" agrees on.

2) You wrote: it is very important to use the terms that are used by everyone else even if you do not like them

I never said I didn´t like the term "folder". You´re making assumptions here.

3) You wrote: ...drag that folder over the Grid view in LRC while in Library mode.

You meant a "disk folder" or "on-disk" folder.

4) Final thought

Reading your last post again and considering it in context I actually find it to be condescending and offensive. Especially because I framed the same thought in an earlier post, criticizing myself.

I do not find you to be respectful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I am not understanding your procedure. IF you are referring to the Lightroom library the folder view in the library will only reveal images that have already been imported. If you want to import additional images that are already on the hard drive, but are in that folder or in a subfolder, you will have to locate those images using the import dialog and import them. The Lightroom library is not a browser to enable you to look at all the images on your hard drive. It only shows you the images that have been imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You wrote:

you will have to locate those images using the import dialog and import them.

In the use case I wrote:

So I press "Import"

So LRC is already in the "Import" dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Import photos from a folder associated with a library folder"

To build on Gary's reply:

- If you want to see the photos in an on-disk folder, right-click a photo or a folder in the LR Folders panel and do Show In Finder / Explorer.

- If you want to see the Library folder containing a photo in Library grid view, right-click the photo and do Go To Folder In Library.

- If you want to import photos from a disk folder that's already showing in the Folders panel, right-click the folder in the Folders panel and do Synchronize Folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Sorry, the forum software only showed Gary's first reply when I posted mine -- none of the later posts were displayed.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

"Synchronize Folder" it is, exactly what I was looking for.

(I thought it had something to do with synchronizing the folder content on the local disc and the cloud. I have never worked with the cloud).

Thank you and best regards,

Axel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I thought it had something to do with synchronizing the folder content on the local disc and the cloud."

Lightroom (like many apps) confusingly uses "synchronize" to refer to many different activities: syncing photos with the cloud, syncing a Library folder with a disk folder, and copying Develop and metadata settings among folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines