Highlighted

Import photos UI not showing Previews

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the 2020 Lightroom Classis 9.2.1 the Preview window that should show thumbnails is not showing any, or if any, only a very few. Most of the images are TIFFs saved from Photoshop CC, or .RW2, or JPEG. Waiting doesn't help, changing the thumbnail size or anyway I can find to refresh the window fails too. The files are on a network share. Clicking Show In Finder does find the files and the Mac Finder shows the thumbnails fine.

Once imported the thumbnails do show but I need the thumbnails on the Import module so I can select what I want to add to my Catalog.

I'm running OSX Mohave, 10.14.6. Lightroom Classis is 9.2.1 and Camera Raw is 12.2.1

Correct answer by restlest | Community Beginner

No small steps helped here.

I got a functional LightRoom 9.2.1 back in operation, showing all thumbnails and not throwing errors with .mov or other video files by completely removing every CC application which allowed me to remove CC Desktop. I also went into Activity Monitor and removed/killed any remaining CC services (there are 3 or 4),  rebooting, and then after logging in again finding the same services in the file system and removing them again after killing the services (no need to reboot now). And then I re-installed CC Desktop and then my other applications. Now Lightroom is running and importing with good speed. I then created a new catalog and re-imported *all* my images, etc.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Import photos UI not showing Previews

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the 2020 Lightroom Classis 9.2.1 the Preview window that should show thumbnails is not showing any, or if any, only a very few. Most of the images are TIFFs saved from Photoshop CC, or .RW2, or JPEG. Waiting doesn't help, changing the thumbnail size or anyway I can find to refresh the window fails too. The files are on a network share. Clicking Show In Finder does find the files and the Mac Finder shows the thumbnails fine.

Once imported the thumbnails do show but I need the thumbnails on the Import module so I can select what I want to add to my Catalog.

I'm running OSX Mohave, 10.14.6. Lightroom Classis is 9.2.1 and Camera Raw is 12.2.1

Correct answer by restlest | Community Beginner

I got a functional LightRoom 9.2.1 back in operation, showing all thumbnails and not throwing errors with .mov or other video files by completely removing every CC application which allowed me to remove CC Desktop. I also went into Activity Monitor and removed/killed any remaining CC services (there are 3 or 4),  rebooting, and then after logging in again finding the same services in the file system and removing them again after killing the services (no need to reboot now). And then I re-installed CC Desktop and then my other applications. Now Lightroom is running and importing with good speed. I then created a new catalog and re-imported *all* my images, etc.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try disabling GPU in preferences, see if there's a difference. 

Also, the TIFFs, are they saved with compression (ZIP or LZW)? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thanks. The tiff files are not compressed in any way.  And it's Jpegs too.

Turning the GPU off under Performance does not work. It was Auto before. Same problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not help. But thanks again.

Looking further into this I tried importing a photo, an .RW2 image from a Panasonic Lumix camera. I unchecked don't import suspected duplicates (as I may have already imported it) and got the message after a short wait, "No photos or videos were found to import." It was one photo in the import, and it failed. And I have a number of those type of files already showing thumbnails, already imported. I chose this one, there were many more, because I couldn't see a thumbnail and I wanted to see what happened. And as mentioned before, clicking the empty rectangle of this image and selecting Show in Finder, I saw the file and the Finders thumbnail.

This is a bit ridiculous. This not working probably started with the 9.2.1 update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also find it strange that I cannot import MOV files. I'm not sure this was a problem in the past. The import UI doesn't show a preview and shows only a movie camera icon. I tried importing one mov file that I could link to successfully from the UI to the file in OSX finder and got this error.

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 9.02.19 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020 0