• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import question - 2 identical cameras

Enthusiast ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 identical cameras. Can I import using the file rename that names the camera (in this case Fuji x100V) and not get duplicate problems? I now the metadata does contain camera serial number so I can tell which is which but if I worry there might be some problem down the line. In the past I've used a second Name command for the second camera (like x100tB) but that requires me to remember to change the setting each time I import...as I age, that is more and more a problem :-).

Any advice appreciated..I know, I know...good problem to have..but these two are now my main shooting cameras.

thanks

tom

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

It is the Operating System that has problems with camera filenames that might be the same from both cameras.

Lightroom will not recognize them as 'duplicates'.

A suggestion might be to use a 'Re-naming' preset in the Import dialog that adds 'Date/Time' to the Camera filename.

(remote possibility that both cameras are set to the same 'time' and a photo shot on both cameras at the same 'second'!)

ScreenShot048.jpg

This overcomes any OS problems of having files in a folder with the same filename, and you only need

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Depending on the camera, you could also change the name of the photo files in the camera, so for example camera one uses names DSA_0001 and camera two uses names DSB_0001. This is a one-time change to one of the cameras, you wouldn't have to create a preset in Lightroom Classic and then apply the correct preset for each import.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have duplicate cameras, but I don't see why there would be a problem because of the camera names being identical.  And if you are in the Library Module, you can separate the cameras using the filter bar and select Camera Serial Number. So, I don't think there's any reason to change file names because of this. The photos from different cameras will not be considered duplicates.

Why do you think it WOULD be a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the Operating System that has problems with camera filenames that might be the same from both cameras.

Lightroom will not recognize them as 'duplicates'.

A suggestion might be to use a 'Re-naming' preset in the Import dialog that adds 'Date/Time' to the Camera filename.

(remote possibility that both cameras are set to the same 'time' and a photo shot on both cameras at the same 'second'!)

ScreenShot048.jpg

This overcomes any OS problems of having files in a folder with the same filename, and you only need one Import Preset for both cameras.

Lightroom can easily filter on camera Serial Number, so there is no problem identifying the camera used for any photo.

OTOH- If you want to identify each camera in a file rename, as you have already- and want to avoid!, then you would need two 'custom' Import Presets x100a x100b- unless you use 'Camera Serial Number' in a filename preset. (Camera Serial Number- TBMK is the only metadata that will 'automatically' identify the cameras in the filename rename.)

All in my opinion- others may have suggestions also. 🙂

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the camera, you could also change the name of the photo files in the camera, so for example camera one uses names DSA_0001 and camera two uses names DSB_0001. This is a one-time change to one of the cameras, you wouldn't have to create a preset in Lightroom Classic and then apply the correct preset for each import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.. I have to take a bit to come up with the re-nameing of the cameras but all of them allow for that, so that is my next time-sync project for my period of lockdown 🙂

thanks...if you are from USA Happy Thanksgiving...even if you are not !!!

tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks... I can see the problems might come from the OS...never thought of that. I guess I do have to use a new nameing formula and change the camera names a little 

very insight ful ...thanks agian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines