Highlighted

Import "Done" Button

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two questions and a gripe:
1) What is the purpose of the "Done" button on the Import dialog?
2) Has it always existed or is it a new addition?

After getting everything set to import (keywords added, etc), I keep accidentally clicking the "Done" button, which might as well be "Cancel" because the effect is that absolutely nothing happens (except wasting my time because now I have to start completely over and this time watch for the "Import" button).

I swear it hasn't always been this way.  Am I right?  Is the "Done" button a new addition? Because I've been using Lightroom since v1.0 was released and I don't ever remember having this problem, only recently have I started accidentally hitting the "Done" button. That's what makes me think it is new.  And if it truly is as useless as it seems ... why not get rid of it?  There is already a "Cancel" button, we don't need two buttons that both effectively cancel the import process.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by JohanElzenga | Adobe Community Professional

This is something new and was actually requested. When you click 'Cancel', Lightroom will forget what you have just selected and fall back to your previous import settings. When you click 'Done', Lightroom will also cancel the actual import but it will store the settings you just made in memory for next time.

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Import "Done" Button

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two questions and a gripe:
1) What is the purpose of the "Done" button on the Import dialog?
2) Has it always existed or is it a new addition?

After getting everything set to import (keywords added, etc), I keep accidentally clicking the "Done" button, which might as well be "Cancel" because the effect is that absolutely nothing happens (except wasting my time because now I have to start completely over and this time watch for the "Import" button).

I swear it hasn't always been this way.  Am I right?  Is the "Done" button a new addition? Because I've been using Lightroom since v1.0 was released and I don't ever remember having this problem, only recently have I started accidentally hitting the "Done" button. That's what makes me think it is new.  And if it truly is as useless as it seems ... why not get rid of it?  There is already a "Cancel" button, we don't need two buttons that both effectively cancel the import process.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by JohanElzenga | Adobe Community Professional

This is something new and was actually requested. When you click 'Cancel', Lightroom will forget what you have just selected and fall back to your previous import settings. When you click 'Done', Lightroom will also cancel the actual import but it will store the settings you just made in memory for next time.

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1] I have wondered the same thing. I have never Clicked it to see what exactly it is supposed to be for but I suspect it is for creating import presets and or setting default settings that are used everytime the import dialog is opened without actuially Importing any images.

2] It is a New addition, Feature. As far as I know there was No documentation on it in the Release notes and I have gone back several versions release notes. I don't recall when I first saw the Done button in the Import dialog window but it isn't there in Lr 5.7.1.

Then I suggest you be more accurate with your cursor before clicking the left button on your mouse.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an accuracy issue ... it's more like having driven the same car for 13 years suddenly someone moved the break pedal and when I simply step where I expect it to be, something different happens.  It's called "muscle memory".  Things are not the way they used to be, and my "muscle memory" has not yet adapted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it is an Accuracy issue. Likw if you buy a New car and the radio and heater/AC controls are in a different spot.

Retrain your muscle.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use your mouse to hover over the Done button for a couple of seconds there will be a popup which displays what effect it will have. I believe this is a common function in LrC.

Screenshot 2020-09-17 at 9.09.33 AM.png

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 9.4, Lr 3.4.1, Ps 21.2.3, Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was added with 9.4 follwoing mutiple requests on the Lightroom Feedback forum.

As Ddegannes has shown, it enables the User to exit the Import window with the current seetings (excluded import source) whereas these were previously ignored.

A similar button exists in the Export window.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate that done button. My issue is the same as dwterry - I feel exactly the same way. The reason why I am here is because I jjust googled in search of an option to disable the "done" button. It is a waste of time! After all these years, it is second nature to click the leftmost button to import. By instinct, I click it only for nothing to happen. Place it in another position, if it is that it is useful to some people. Or else, give me the option to disable it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines