• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Raw files from Olympus O-MD E-M1 Mark III in Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment I have installed an old Lightroom Classic Desktop App v6.14 with a perpetual license. This worked fine with my old camera, but not with the new Olympus camera. From the compatibility list on the Adobe support sites I see that I need the following versions:

2020-12-11_00h54_31.png

Can I upgrade my current Lightroom App with the existing license to the required versions and where do I get the installation files from? If a new license is needed, can I still buy a perpetual license for the required Lightroom Classic version, or is there no way around the Lightroom CC abo license? Thank you for your support.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

You can purchase a subscription to the current Lightroom Classic. There are no more perpetual licenses. Or, you can download the free Adobe DNG Converter, which will allow raw photos from this camera to be converted to DNG and then imported into your Lightroom 6.

Also, you do not have Lightroom Classic, you have Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

There is no difference in quality. There is no difference in the way you work with the photos in Lightroom. DNG and RAW do not, by default, use xmp files, the edits are always stored in the catalog. However optionally you can store the edits in the xmp portion of a DNG file or a sidecar .xmp file in the case of RAW images, in addition to having the edits stored in the catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

When the subscription ends, the Develop Module will stop working, and the Map module will stop working. Everything else will work, so you can still import your photos and organize them in the Library Module.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Thank you dj_paige for answering this as well. When surfing on Adobes website I accidently came on this web site, where it is clearly said what happens after the cancelation of the cloud abo.

2020-12-19_14h30_30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can purchase a subscription to the current Lightroom Classic. There are no more perpetual licenses. Or, you can download the free Adobe DNG Converter, which will allow raw photos from this camera to be converted to DNG and then imported into your Lightroom 6.

Also, you do not have Lightroom Classic, you have Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer and correcting me in the version name. I always have problems to see the differences in the version names like "Lightroom", "Lightroom Classic" and "Lightroom CC".

As to the DNG Converter I wanted to ask if there are some drawbacks regarding the quality of the photos. Furthermore is the working with DNGs similar to RAW, i.e. that all the changes are stored in a xmp file and all the changes done to the pictures are lossless?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no difference in quality. There is no difference in the way you work with the photos in Lightroom. DNG and RAW do not, by default, use xmp files, the edits are always stored in the catalog. However optionally you can store the edits in the xmp portion of a DNG file or a sidecar .xmp file in the case of RAW images, in addition to having the edits stored in the catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer. Then I would have a look at the workflow with a conversion to DNGs and an import to my existing Lightroom as post action. Do you know by accident of an already described best practice of this "extended" import workflow from Olympus cameras to the older Lightroom? Like e.g. Olympus prioprietary tools or some other tools from Adobe. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know by accident of an already described best practice of this "extended" import workflow from Olympus cameras to the older Lightroom?

No. It's hard to even think of a "best practice" in this case, there is only one possible practice. Camera->Computer->Convert to DNG via the DNG Converter->Import DNGs into Lr 6.14.

Regarding Olympus proprietary tools, that an entirely separate question as to whether you use them or not. And one I don't have any clue about,, as I have never used the camera manufacturer's software (and I don't have Olympus anyway)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, okay :-). That's exactly what I already saw comming...:-) I'll start with this and then I will see how long I will keep that workflow until I will switch to the abo... As far as I have seen now, Olympus seems to have tried to build a copy of Lightroom as their tool to import fotos from the camera to the computer. Let's see what it really can do. Before I had a Canon camera. So the propietary tools from Olympus are also new to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest to take a look at the Photography (20GB) plan: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html#

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion. I have seen this already and it sounds interesting for me, but not as a "lifetime" purchase. So I would use the license for one year, which corresponds to the price that I have paid for the perpetual license, but then I would cancel the abo. The question would be then, what will be the functions available also after the cancellation of the abo. Will I still be able to import RAWs from my camera and to use all the functions in Lightroom except the new ones that will appear in the upgrades after my cancellation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure about the import. However, I'm sure that the develop module will cease its operation entirely, not only for the new additions.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the subscription ends, the Develop Module will stop working, and the Map module will stop working. Everything else will work, so you can still import your photos and organize them in the Library Module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you dj_paige for answering this as well. When surfing on Adobes website I accidently came on this web site, where it is clearly said what happens after the cancelation of the cloud abo.

2020-12-19_14h30_30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why would one ever want to cancel their subscription? It's kind of like canceling your cell phone service. If you are taking digital images then you need something to process them. We all upgrade our cameras from time to time spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars on that equipment. Why does it seem so unreasonable to spend a little money to keep the software updated that supports that equipment? If we don't subscribe and pay a minimal monthly fee then there are upgrade costs that are just as costly. Don't go into a subscription thinking that you're going to use it for a little while and then cancel. It's just part of the digital photography life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines