Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import skips images

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Lightroom users,

for years, I've been using Adobe Lightroom 5.7. There have longer been some minor issues importing some types of media (iPhone videos) into Lightroom, but it recently got unbearable when I switched from a 10-year-old MacBook Pro to a new one, running macOS 10.15.6:

When importing jpg photos (that have definitely never before been added to the LR catalogue) from the internal harddrive, LR recognizes (in the middle panel of the import dialogue, where you can choose "all" or "new" photos etc.) all photos as "new", but in the folder structure on the right hand side, only a fraction (about 20%) are actually showing up. By playing around with the photos in the import folder, I found out that LR skips photos taken with the same camera in the same format at more or less the same point of time while recognizing others. I did not change the way I take my photos or import them; therefore I don't understand why this problem occurs now. Other posts didn't really mention a similar problem ...

Any help concerning this problem is greatly appreciated!

Best

Torben

P.S. An example screenshot below: 338 photos (taken between July and September this year) are recognized as "new", but only 75 will be imported ...

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at your destination panel again!

There are more files being imported further down the folders. Scroll down- you will see even more.

Definitely more than 75!

ScreenShot087.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Thank you for your quick reply.

Unfortunately it is not that easy that I simply had to scroll down. If there were photos appearing somewhere else in the destination panel, that would be odd in the first place, since all of the photos to be imported were taken in those three months that contain photos in the destination panel -- but way too few of them.

However, there are no more photos appearing anywhere else on the destination panel. 😞

Any other ideas what went wrong? Thanks in advance ...

Best

Torben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Torben, The more I look at your screen-clip, more questions arise.

The import window recognizes there are 338 photos to import, and I would expect them to all show in the Destination panel, somewhere. Is there another 'device/drive name' shown further 'up' in the import 'Destination' that also shows date folders?

The grey previews- Are the thumbnails still being created? Or does the screen stay like that with LrC having trouble showing the photos?

Your Import is 'moving' files within the same storage device- APPLE SSD AP1024N Media. The Source is a 'Named' folder, the destination is a 'Dated' folder. Are you 'moving' to have your files in the 'Dated' structure? What is this device, an "internal harddrive"?

I also see the same device listed three times in the Import Source panel which I would think is unusual. When you exit the Import and look at the Folder panel in the Library module- do you also see the same device shown multiple times?

On this topis see- DUPLICATE DRIVE displays same hard drive twice 

Remote diagnosing is difficult, so I hope you can get to an answer.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

> The import window recognizes there are 338 photos to import, and I would expect them to all show in the Destination panel, somewhere. Is there another 'device/drive name' shown further 'up' in the import 'Destination' that also shows date folders?

The destination panel (like the source panel) includes the internal hard drive "APPLE SSD AP..." three times: One of them contains nothing (0 GB), the other two are exact duplicates and show the same number of seventy-something pictures to be imported into the same location.

> The grey previews- Are the thumbnails still being created? Or does the screen stay like that with LrC having trouble showing the photos?

LR won't show all thumbnails anymore since I changed to the new computer. The first screen full of thumbnails is created, scrolling down only reveals those "grey" thumbnails. (The reason why half the screen is filled with grey thumbnails is that I reduced the size of the thumbnails before taking the screenshot.) However, since the grey thumbnails are not identical with the photos not being imported, I did not see a connection to my main problem. But yes, the missing thumbnails are a (minor) problem, too.

> Your Import is 'moving' files within the same storage device- APPLE SSD AP1024N Media. The Source is a 'Named' folder, the destination is a 'Dated' folder. Are you 'moving' to have your files in the 'Dated' structure? What is this device, an "internal harddrive"?

Yes, I am moving them within an internal HDD to have them in the dated file structure.

> I also see the same device listed three times in the Import Source panel which I would think is unusual. When you exit the Import and look at the Folder panel in the Library module- do you also see the same device shown multiple times?

No, this only happens within the import dialog, not within library module, so I am not sure whether the guide you pointed to (thank you anyway!) solves this problem -- if it is related to the import problem at all ...

> Remote diagnosing is difficult

I know -- thank you so much for trying anyway! Do you have any further ideas based on what I wrote?

Best
Torben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community,

unfortunately, my import problem remains unsolved. Any further ideas are greatly appreciated!

Best

Torben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

following

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say-
"The destination panel (like the source panel) includes the internal hard drive "APPLE SSD AP..." three times:"

I think this would almost certainly confirm that you do have the problem of 'Duplicate Drives' corruption of the Catalog.

Have you tried the fix in the linked article?

The procedures in the linked article must be followed closely to fix.

DUPLICATE DRIVE displays same hard drive twice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

That "duplicate drive" article does not really describe the situation I have, because

1) the "APPLE SSD AP..." drive shows up three times in the import source and destination panel only -- not in the library module.

2) two instances of "APPLE SSD AP..." contain exactly the same data (not different folders as described in the "duplicate drives" article) and one of them none at all.

I tried the fix anyway, following all the steps (The single instance of "APPLE SSD AP..." in the library module disappeared temporarily and reappeared after updating the folder location again.

However, the "APPLE SSD AP..." drive continues to appear three times in the import module. And my original problem remains unsolved, too. 😕 But thanks for trying to help anyway!

Any further ideas?

Best

Torben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Time to post your problem over st the official Adobe feedback site, where actual Adobe Techs pay attention:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872?cType=PROBLEM&page=...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines