Highlighted

Import twice for different editors

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should there be any problem importing images to LR and then reloading images for Photoshop Elemets?

Sounds nuts but I do have my reasons.

Thank you, Photodoc16

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Import twice for different editors

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should there be any problem importing images to LR and then reloading images for Photoshop Elemets?

Sounds nuts but I do have my reasons.

Thank you, Photodoc16

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still use PS Elements as an External Editor from LR. So I don't see why, can't think of a reason, to import the same images into both LR Classic and the Organizer of PS Elements.

And if you have a subscription for LR Classic you have access to the REAL Full Photoshop program.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Just Shoot Me advises, please be aware Lightroom Classic and Photoshop Elements are individual applications and do not communicate automatically.

Lightroom default is to store all the things you do in the Catalog File so, while you are working in Lightroom the info is in the Catalog file.

PS Elements is writing and reading info to/from the file, so the info is in the file. It cannot read or write to the LR Catalog file.

LR has an option to also write to the file so Elements can access the edits but it does not continuously read from the file. This can cause a conflict of info in the Catalog and the file and you will get a warning in Lightroom and will have to decide which should prevail. Depending on the choice you make you will lose work you have done in LR or Elements.

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 10, Lr 4, Ps 22.0,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Denis,

Thank you. Here's one for you. I have just experienced the situation where Picasa is taking files that I have previously loaded into LR. Because of that,

the Develop module says that it does not know where the images are. I did learn how to retrieve the images but there were problems with some folders. 

I may not be able to remove Picasa due to the fact that my wife loves it so I may have to get rid of LR. How can you stop Picasa from pilfering these files? Maybe I will have to upgrade Elements, which I used for a while, with Elements+ and send those images to PS when they are edited.

I never anticipated this!

Thanks, Richard

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I will have to ”pass” on this one. I have not tried for at least 12-15 years and make little use of Elements.

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 10, Lr 4, Ps 22.0,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
dj_paige LATEST
LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the idea of using two "organizer" type programs, Lightroom Classic or Photoshop Elements along with Picasa is going to cause problems in the long run (and probably in the short run as well). It simply is not something I would recommend; in fact I would recommend that such a setup be avoided. However, if your wife is unwilling to change from Picasa, and you have to use two organizing programs, then be prepared for these types of problems. Perhaps you can find someone who knows both Picasa and PSE/Lightroom Classic well enough who can give better advice about what to avoid and how to make it work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "reloading" images? Generally, Lightroom does not import duplicates, but you can work on the image within Lightroom and also open an image in Photoshop Elements; however, as already explained, the image might not make the round trip to match in both versions.

Here's a short tutorial I came across on Petapixel on how to create the roundtrip. 

https://petapixel.com/2020/02/05/there-and-back-again-sending-photos-between-lightroom-and-photoshop...

warmly/j

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use one program to overwrite the original images (assuming they are JPG or TIF), this will cause problems in the other program. If you use either program to write metadata to the photo files (or the .xmp files in the case of RAW), this will cause problems for the other program. There may be other conflicts. Furthermore, if you apply metadata in one program to the photo, the other program will not know about it.

So, if you need to use two editors, I would not do it the way you are suggesting, importing the photos in the Lightroom and also into the Photoshop Elements Organizer. Better to import the photos into Lightroom, and then as needed use PSE as an external editor to Lightroom (or as mentioned above, if you have the subscription to Lightroom Classic, you can use Photoshop as the external editor instead of PSE). If you need to perform an edit in Lightroom and a different edit in PSE, then you can use virtual copies in Lightroom to allow this to happen.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2020 0