• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing from another Catalog selects all existing photos to update metadata each time I import

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I back up my working catalog and images onto an external drive by using "import from another catalog" function. When I do this it picks the new photos to add and to update the metadata and development settings on images that have been modified. I normally do this every one or two months and did this yesterday and it needed to update this metadata for all of the images in the catalog. Normally I wouldn't do this again for another 8 weeks or so but I today added a new image to the work catalog and needed to backup using this method. Lightroom selected the new photo to import and, to my surprise, wanted to modify the metadata of all the other images (16+K) which takes quite a lot of time. Can you explain this because I don't think I worked on more than 3 or 4 images today so, by my reasoning, only those needed to be modified?

Thanks

PS. This time I selected "nothing" for metadata updates to save time, not sure if that was the right thing to do though.

Using:

iMac with Mojave OS

LR 9.2

Work catalog is on external CIE drive

Backup catalog is on different external CIE drive

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import vs Export.  Without knowing the exact step-by-step details of what you are doing, seems like "export as catalog" might be what you are doing?

Normally if you select nothing, the result is the same as select-all.

Without knowing the details of what you are doing, a simpler backup method is to simply copy the master LrCat file to the backup drive, ditto the image files. Plus, LR wants to create a ZIPped backup of the catalog when it exits based on the schedule you choose (weekly by default).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Joe

Actually its not an export but an import

Here's a screen shot.

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 11.46.40 AM.png

What I don't understand is why all the images in the source catalog are flagged with changes vs the ones in the destination catalog if I have not made any changes. I only backed up last week and since then I have only added 49 more images. Does LR make some sort of modification everytime it opens a catalog? My issue is that when I make a back up of the source catalog and images in this way it takes hours and I currently only have 16K images so it only going to get worse. I could select "Nothing" in the dropdown list for "Replace"

Do you have another thoughts

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to say what is going on with any metadata changes. I have never really understood what and when LR changes or finds changed in regards to metadata. Usually I just ignore it.

Kind of curious about your import strategy for creating backups. Normally one would just copy the LR-created ZIP of the catalog or just copy the whole master catalog. For image backups, one would normally use an OS tool or scripting to copy the new/changed files to the backup location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing an updated catalog into to an older version of the same catalog sounds risky to me. Anytime LR has a major update (7.0, 8.0, 9.0) the catalog has to be "upgraded" to make it compatible with any new features added in the update. I suspect that's what you are encoutering. As suggested instead use the LR  Catalog Backup tool and your OS backup tools or file synchronization software to keep your image file backup up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Todd. I'll look in to how to do as you have suggested as the Time Machine doesn't work when the images are ion an external drive.

Regarding the major upgrades, to date I have not had any trouble, when I open up a catalog after an up grade there is a message that the catalog needs to be upgraded and I just click on accept and things have been fine so far. 

Thanks again and sorry for taking so long to reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines