Importing from Windows Picture Folder -- Does Lightroom move the files?

Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over 200K photos in my Pictures folder.  I'd like to start using Lightroom, but am hesitant because it seems as if Lightroom is going to move them all into the default folder for Lightroom as part of the import.

I don't care if it makes copies, but I don't want Lightroom moving that many pictures for me. I actually don't want them moved at all. 

What will happen to my originals when I ask Lightroom to import them from the Pictures folder?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Importing from Windows Picture Folder -- Does Lightroom move the files?

Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over 200K photos in my Pictures folder.  I'd like to start using Lightroom, but am hesitant because it seems as if Lightroom is going to move them all into the default folder for Lightroom as part of the import.

I don't care if it makes copies, but I don't want Lightroom moving that many pictures for me. I actually don't want them moved at all. 

What will happen to my originals when I ask Lightroom to import them from the Pictures folder?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 13, 2020 0
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom's import (assuming you mean Lightroom Classic) has three options - Copy, Move or Add.

Add will leave those image files in place as they are, and begin working FROM them - but without altering their image contents by doing so.

It is also possible to Move or to Copy files when desired. So for example, in future LR can help you bring new photos off the camera card into the desired destination, and import those to LR's Catalog at the same time. For that purpose it would be a "Copy" import. But for images that are already in the computer you can do an "Add" import.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2020 0
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As above reply. There are Options at the top of the import window for File Placement.

Move, to move the files from one location to another, Copy to Copy the files from one location to another location (Also Copy as DNG which copies the files and converts them to DNG files) and the one you want "Add" which adds the image files to the LR catalog file, which is just a Database file that References your image files, from where they are stored on the drives connected to your computer.

Your original files will not be moved, copied or touched in any way if you use the Add option.

You need to do a google serach on "Using LR Classic", "Importing images into LR Classic" and in general view some of the good online tutorials on how LR Classic works and how to work with LR Classic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2020 0