• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing into LR from flash drive

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR 5. I have images on a flash drive that I am trying to import into LR. I can only view/edit those images if I leave the flash drive in. As soon as I remove the flash drive, the images go grey and I cannot do ANYTHING with them. If I plug the flash drive back in, the images again become active.  How do I use these images without the flash drive in.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't.

Photos need to be stored on an attached or networked disk for Lightroom 5 to use them. You have to import the photos and store them on an attached hard disk or networked drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if you create smart  previews while the flash drive is inserted if perhaps Lightroom 5 will allow you to work with the smart previews when the flash drive is removed. I can't remember if Lightroom 5 allowed smart previews. Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Lightroom 5 had Smart Previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you are importing using ADD instead of Copy.

Actually should not be able to do that, something Adobe may have changed in a newer version, as Flash Media like memory sticks are not to be trusted for long term storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you have Lightroom 5 working on your system, and it allows you to import images from a flash drive and edit them when the flash drive is inserted, consider yourself fortunate. Later versions of Lightroom don't allow this, but consider the flash drive temporary storage and the images must be imported to a hard drive to be added to a Lightroom catalog.

If you are happy with the features provided by Lightroom 5, and it is functioning satisfactorily then by all means stay with it. I suppose you don't miss what you don't know you don't have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I am a novice to Lightroom, as you can tell from the old version. What is the difference between importing from a flash drive verses a memory card?
Can I not, somehow, put these images on my hard drive on my PC? Isn’t that what you do when you import from the camera or a memory card?

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Flash drive, memory card, don't worry about it. Not relevant.

When you import, you need to select a Destination on one of your hard drives or network drives (preferably an external drive or network drive) and then Lightroom will copy or move the files from wherever they are to the requested hard drive or network drive. Then the problem you described at the beginning will not happen.

Instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/importing-photos-lightroom-basic-workflow.html

If you are a beginner to Lightroom, your best approach is not to try to figure it out yourself. We have seen many many people in these forums try to figure it out themselves, and get totally lost. The best approach is to do some learning about how Lightroom works. There are plenty of free videos at adobe.com and at youtube.com and a free e-book at LightroomQueen.com. Spend some time learning, and your efforts in Lightroom will work much much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines