• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing one folder imports entire computer

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, not a new lightroom user but new to Lightroom Classic. Previously a 6 user.

Decided not to keep my existing catalogues but just to re-import -- so I imported the "Photos" folder on my external hard disc, buried in the Media subdirectory, where I've dumped all my photos over the years. It had a long timeframe to completion so I left my machine alone and came back the next day.

... only to find it hadn't yet completed, and had started adding -every folder- in the PC to my catalogue. Temporary images, images that are part of Steam games, images that were sent or received on Telegram and Discord, Twitter files, you name it.

I made a new catalogue assuming it was a "me" problem, only to find the problem repeating itself. I'm only selecting one folder for import, and it starts off importing that just fine before suddenly "C:" appears in the locations sidebar -- What could I be missing, and what can I do to mitigate this ridiculous behaviour?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which operating system do you use?

How is the external hard drive connected to the PC? Via USB?

Did you get an error message? If yes, please post the exact message.

When the problem occurs is the external hard drive accessible?

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, USB3, yes it's accessible, and it starts with no errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and it starts off importing that just fine before suddenly "C:" appears in the locations sidebar --

What do you exactly mean with " suddenly C: appears..." ? Can you please explain more detailed and post a screenshot if possible.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As in, it'll download the "Photos" folder -- and then start continuing to import everything on the machine, including stuff in C:, a folder I didn't select for import.

It's started doing it again, on this fresh attempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bit mysterious. I've never heard about such a problem.

Please try to reset the Lightroom preferences -> http://lightroom-blog.com/2015/05/23/resetting-preferences-in-lightroom-cc6/

If that doesn't help, I would recommend a clean reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have got a shortcut pointing to (e.g.) a high level folder of your C: drive sitting within Photos - on your external drive - Lightroom will by default follow that shortcut. It will treat whatever it finds, as if it were located in an actual subfolder of Photos. It will only do this if "include subfolders" is checked. Could that be it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines