Highlighted

Importing pictrues from A.Photos with Lightroom's Migrate facility

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys.

I've a big trouble after passing to Catalina. So, to have a big story short, I need to import all my pictures from Apple Photos to Lightroom without loosing tag and names.

I've searched on web and I find a tool called Lightroom's Migrate facility, but on my Lightroom Classic I can't find it. I have migrate tools for Aperture and Iphoto but not for Photos. Someone can help me?

Topics

Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Importing pictrues from A.Photos with Lightroom's Migrate facility

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys.

I've a big trouble after passing to Catalina. So, to have a big story short, I need to import all my pictures from Apple Photos to Lightroom without loosing tag and names.

I've searched on web and I find a tool called Lightroom's Migrate facility, but on my Lightroom Classic I can't find it. I have migrate tools for Aperture and Iphoto but not for Photos. Someone can help me?

Topics

Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Migrate" is only for converting (and moving files) from a Lr-Classic catalog to the Cloud version of Lightroom.

Extracting images from the Photos App needs a different approach. And there is not a specific tool in Lr-Classic for this.

Moving from Apple Photos to Lightroom

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your kindly replay but here: https://helpx.adobe.com/it/lightroom-cc/using/migrate-apple-photos-library.html adobe says there is a tool that maintain all the tags and names... the problem is.. that tool isn't in my copy... why?

Anyway, if there is another way to retain all my tags, location and names... I'm here to learn.

Thanks a lot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danireef,

Post a screen-clip from the report shown by-  MENU: Help/System Info...

So that we can know: Are you using Lightroom-CLASSIC or Lightroom (Cloudy)?

The link given by @josephlavine is only for Lightroom (Cloudy)- NOT LR-CLASSIC!

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WobertC, I'm using lightroom classic, but if the tools is only for Lightroom Cloud maybe I can adapt in some way...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"adapt"- Now that is right out of my league- sorry.

I just know that -Nothing is available in Lr-Classic menus to convert from the Photos App. 

And the Adobe 'Help' files on these topics do not even understand the difference between Apple iPhotos and the more recent Photos App, so causing much confusion.

I am a Windows person, so not much help other than some more links-

Importing into LR from PHOTOS on an external hard drive | Lightroom Forums

Apple PHOTOS to Lightroom

The only reference I have seen to 'Keyword' tags was in a blog about Apple Aperture. See this link in chapter: "Preparation 3"

http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-begin/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only migrate to the cloud version of Lightroom, not to Classic. There is a trick here though. You can open up Lightroom Cloud and migrate there. Also open up Lightroom Classic and set it to sync. All your images will get uploaded in Lightroom Cloud and redownloaded to Classic. The problem arises if you have a large Photos library. You will run out of space in the cloud. What you want to do in that case is periodically in Classic, unsync images that have already downloaded while Lightroom Cloud is still uploading other images. This will delete them from the cloud but keep them in Classic. A bit of a pain. Again only necessary if your Photos library is larger than ~20GB that you get when you subscribe to the standard Photographers bundle license that includes Classic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but so... if do I buy some space? We said... 500 gb from Adobe...? I can have all my pictures again... but then... where do they put on my hd? Can I choose where?

It sound very interesting. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jao_vdL LATEST
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Classic, you can set in the preferences panel in the Sync tab where cloud synced images are stored locally. You can also move them afterwards inside Classic to another location. Classic needs all images to be stored locally. Lightroom Cloud (Adobe very confusingly calls it Lightroom desktop) stores all images in the cloud and only downloads images when it needs them. There are large differences between Lightroom Cloudy and Lightroom Classic. Cloudy for example cannot print and cannot do virtual copies, collections, books, etc. It is not good at social media integration and many other issues. It is convenient that it stores stuff in the cloud and that your library will be available on any device, including phones and tablets which is something Classic cannot easily do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines