Highlighted

Improper Sort order when importing photos from iphone on Windows 10 Lightroom Classic 9.4

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing photos to my windows 10 machine from my iPhone SE 2020, I have the proper source selected, Copy and add to the catalog selected, New Photos Selected, the proper destination selected and the Capture time selected for the sort order.

After the photos have completed loading (>5000) all of them remain. That is to say, none of the previously imported photo disappear (I have New photos selected). Also, even though I have Capture time selected as the sort order, they are loading in a random order.

I have imported the same photos from the same iPhone into my mac Lightroom and all is normal, so I think the problem maybe something to do with a windows setting.

Any thoughts?

Topics

Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Improper Sort order when importing photos from iphone on Windows 10 Lightroom Classic 9.4

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing photos to my windows 10 machine from my iPhone SE 2020, I have the proper source selected, Copy and add to the catalog selected, New Photos Selected, the proper destination selected and the Capture time selected for the sort order.

After the photos have completed loading (>5000) all of them remain. That is to say, none of the previously imported photo disappear (I have New photos selected). Also, even though I have Capture time selected as the sort order, they are loading in a random order.

I have imported the same photos from the same iPhone into my mac Lightroom and all is normal, so I think the problem maybe something to do with a windows setting.

Any thoughts?

Topics

Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the import, look at the sort order shown. Despite what was previously set, what is showing after the import?

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the import, the sort order is as it should be. But that isn't the problem. That is to say, the previous imports are not clearing from the thumbnail panel even though I have New Imports selected. And the new imports, which should be at the end of the previews in the thumbnail panel (Sort order = Capture time) are mixed in randomly, not at the end.

As you can imagine, this makes it more difficult to import the new photos.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the import is completed, which folder or collection are you looking at to see the new photos?

Or, is the problem that the Import preview is showing all the previously imported files as not-imported?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initially, Previous import, as there may be several days worth of photos.

I now think that the problem isn't the sort order selected in the import dialog, but the fact that the photos that have already been imported from the iphone show up and want to be imported again. That is, Lightroom doesn't recognize that they've already been imported. New Photos has been selected.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't say I am surprised.

The main problem with dealing with smart phones is that any "import" process wants to scan the whole phone to find all possible photos, including the folders you do not want scanned like the web browser cache. I find it easier to use the computer's file browser to manually copy the desired files from the phone to the hard drive, then do a LR import on the files from the hard drive.

Maybe things have changed. The last time I tried "importing" from my smart phone was 3+ years ago.

Maybe the Mac-to-iPhone communication is better than the Win-to-iPhone communication.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines