• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In Lightroom, does a full frame lens correction profile work if the camera used is a crop sensor model?

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Canon 800D is a crop sensor camera (it is not a full frame model). I'm thinking of buying a full frame lens for it. Lightroom has a lens correction profile for that full frame lens. My question is: in Lightroom, does a full frame lens correction profile work if the camera used is a crop sensor model? Would there be any issues?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

The Lens Profile tool is camera model aware and knows if the file was shot with a full-frame or crop sensor camera. The full-frame lens profile contains Distortion and Vignetting data for the full-frame area, including the central the crop sensor frame area, and it is applied 100% correctly. If Adobe hadn't designed it this way they would need to create at least two lens profiles for every full-frame lens model. The best example of this is the Canon EF 8-15mm F4L Fisheye lens, which Canon design

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot with a Nikon D7000 crop sensor and full frame lenses without any issues.  I am not sure if it is 100% accurate but the lens correction does work for my images.  Lightroom does know both the camera and lens used for the shot, so it at least has the capability to make accurate corrections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it works fine because the crop camera simply sees a smaller central section of the circular image cast by the lens while the full frame sees a bigger section of the same circular image. Within the smaller section the same distortions are present and in the profile they are identified according to their distance from the center and therefore are valid for both cameras. Of course, that wouldn't be true of the opposite case, a profile made on a cropper can't be used for a FF because it would lack data on the outer parts of the FF section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lens Profile tool is camera model aware and knows if the file was shot with a full-frame or crop sensor camera. The full-frame lens profile contains Distortion and Vignetting data for the full-frame area, including the central the crop sensor frame area, and it is applied 100% correctly. If Adobe hadn't designed it this way they would need to create at least two lens profiles for every full-frame lens model. The best example of this is the Canon EF 8-15mm F4L Fisheye lens, which Canon designed for use on both full-frame AND crop sensor EOS bodies. I have it and the single lens profile works correctly on both body types.

I started with the Canon 300D and 18-55mm kit lens, but all the lenses purchased to date are full-frame. Just keep in mind that an ultra-wide 16-35mm zoom lens becomes a modest 26-56mm equivalent focal length. However the 70-200mm zoom becomes a longer reach 112-320mm equivalent focal length. Image quality of the full-frame Canon lenses on my crop sensor bodies (300D, 600D) is quite good. They're more expensive, but if a full-frame body is on your wish-list it's a good investment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all the answers. Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines