• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In Lightroom, my photo will not “edit in PS” anymore???

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom doesn't do anything when i select any "edit in" choices all of the sudden. Not sure what's happening, I've updated all adobe programs, updated computer, have a newer Mac book pro, using the original photo.  The program doesn't do anything when i try to select edit in photoshop or portraiture. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

He can't have Lightroom 3, because Lightroom 3 does not support any other external editor than Photoshop and he's talking about Portraiture too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved your post over from the poorly named Community Help forum, which is for getting help using this forum system, to a better forum.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the menu available but doesn't it do anything, or is the menu dimmed? If the menu is dimmed, then what probably happened is that the image is 'missing'. Maybe the external photo drive isn't connected, or you moved or renamed folders so Lightroom has lost the link to them. You may not see this clearly if you have made smart previews. Without smart previews you'll see an exclamation mark in the upper right corner of the 'slide mount', but if you have a smart preview then you do not get this warning and you can make edits. You can't send a smart preview to an external editor, however.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "Lightroom doesn't do anything when i select any "edit in" choices all of the sudden. Not sure what's happening, I've updated all adobe programs, updated computer, have a newer Mac book pro, using the original photo.  The program doesn't do anything when i try to select edit in photoshop or portraiture."

Please indicate the actual version of Lightroom you are using on your computer? LrC  9.3 or Lr 3.3?

Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 10.20.34 AM copy.pngScreenshot 2020-06-24 at 10.20.10 AM copy.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He can't have Lightroom 3, because Lightroom 3 does not support any other external editor than Photoshop and he's talking about Portraiture too.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three Lightroom forums available. See the screen capture.

ED8ADB40-607B-4759-B30D-5692FEDCC191.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Consider including the following in your question:
Adobe product and version number
Operating system and version number
The full text of any error message (s)
What you were doing when the problem occurred
Screen shots of the problem
Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; the amount of RAM; etc

Do you have Photoshop installed?

Saying "Doesn't Do Anything" really doesn't help solving your problem. A Detailed list of the actual steps youy are taking would help and FIRST Restart your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.jpg

Adobe photoshop 21.2.1 release

Adobe photoshop lightroom classic 9.3 release, camera raw 12.3 

image.jpgThere is no error message. It literally does nothing. I click it, it used to work perfect, image would go to photoshop, id make edits, save, and move back to lightroom with new image. Can not get it to work now. Nothing happens. It is original image, not smart view.  I have restarted my computer 10 times, made sure it was updated etc..  

image.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Checkl that the newest update to OS X did not reset the permissions that will stop certain programs from running and accessing parts of your system. Here is a screen shot of what you need to check.

catalinasecurity.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you haven't provided any relevant information, I will offer one possible suggestion. IF you are editing smart previews with the master images not available then the option to edit in Photoshop will not be available to you. You must be able to have access to the master images in order to use that feature. If that isn't the case, then please provide some relevant information about your system, your operating system, the actual version of Lightroom you are using, when this problem started, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to your LrC preferences and General tab. At the bottom of the dialog click Reset all Warning dialogs. Then reboot Lightroom and see if a warning pops up when you select edit in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In one if your screenshots, you clearly use smart previews.

So, are the original photos on an external hard drive?

Is that drive on and connected? And not in sleep mode,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart previews have nothing to do with this. If the original image is missing, then the "Edit in..." menus will be dimmed. That is not the case here, so something else is going on. I would first try to reset the preferences. If that does not help you could try uninstalling Lightroom and reinstalling it: 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines