Incorrect duplicate images unchecked in Lightroom Classic 9.3 import

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have alwasy used the option "don't import suspected duplictaes" during import. Recently it has started to have problems and will seemingly randomly ignore images that I know are not already in the catalog. If you aren't paying attention, this can have disasterous consequences. You think you have imported your photos, only to find a few days later that some are missing...

Has anyone else noticed this?

Per Adobe this option checks "original filename; the same Exif capture date and time; and the same file size" to see if a file is a duplicate. Obviously there is a bug here. 

For example it will randomly ignore a photo that is in the middle of a photo burst. The only way that there can be another photo in the catalog that meets the criteria for exclusion, would be if I was shooting two cameras simultaneously, both with the exame same file numbers at the exact same moment, creating images with the exact same file size. And then I would have to have imported one of those into the catalog already for it to find those duplicates.

Obvilously that's an almost impossible situation, which should make this import option a foolproof option that you can turn on and not have to monitor... unless it develops a bug.

I can confirm the bug even further after import by selecting "All photographs" then searching for the filename of one of the photos that it was telling me was a duplicate. If you then use the metadata sorting you can bring up all the photos with the same creation date and the same filename in the catalog. Of course there is only one photo. If there really was a duplicate that met Lightroom's duplicate criteria, there would be more than one photo.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Incorrect duplicate images unchecked in Lightroom Classic 9.3 import

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have alwasy used the option "don't import suspected duplictaes" during import. Recently it has started to have problems and will seemingly randomly ignore images that I know are not already in the catalog. If you aren't paying attention, this can have disasterous consequences. You think you have imported your photos, only to find a few days later that some are missing...

Has anyone else noticed this?

Per Adobe this option checks "original filename; the same Exif capture date and time; and the same file size" to see if a file is a duplicate. Obviously there is a bug here. 

For example it will randomly ignore a photo that is in the middle of a photo burst. The only way that there can be another photo in the catalog that meets the criteria for exclusion, would be if I was shooting two cameras simultaneously, both with the exame same file numbers at the exact same moment, creating images with the exact same file size. And then I would have to have imported one of those into the catalog already for it to find those duplicates.

Obvilously that's an almost impossible situation, which should make this import option a foolproof option that you can turn on and not have to monitor... unless it develops a bug.

I can confirm the bug even further after import by selecting "All photographs" then searching for the filename of one of the photos that it was telling me was a duplicate. If you then use the metadata sorting you can bring up all the photos with the same creation date and the same filename in the catalog. Of course there is only one photo. If there really was a duplicate that met Lightroom's duplicate criteria, there would be more than one photo.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 27, 2020 0

Have something to add?