Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Invalid crop ratio by default.

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dears,

Photos taken by Canon M50 and are 6024x4020 (ratio 3:2)

1) I am importing photos from local disk (new folder), photos added succesfully.

2) Open "Develop", select crop overlay (R)

3) Croping frame appears, but Aspect Ratio is not the same, as in shot (LR shows "As Shot") in cropping settings. (see screenshhot)

Annotation 2020-02-21 083856 - adobe LR cropping - ratio is not the same.png

To maintain same ratio, I need to change "As shot" to "Original".

More challenges comes when I begin to rotate image (i.e. horizontal line):

If I rotate even one degree to match horizon:

invalid crop frame ratio mess editinginvalid crop frame ratio mess editing

As you can see, shot is cropped to "As Shot" configuration. To keep same ratio, I change cropping option to "Original".

The most annoying this, when using midi controller with encoder to rotate image, first LR applies invalid crop ratio, crops it and after rotate it by one degree.

I suspect,  that LR does not understand that original aspect is 3:2 and sets it to something else, which is causing issues.

Any comments, ideas are welcome.

BR /A

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

I think your camera is set to 9:16 or perhaps 10:16. LR honors that camera setting, but because it is a Raw file the crop can easily be cancelled.

I keep my M6II set to to 9:16 because I frequently post photos online for phones or other UHD aspect screens and that setting gives me guidelines in the camera when composing.

As for losing pixels when rotating, the alternative would be to have empty white spaces at two corners.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to correct myself., according to LR, photos are 6000x4000.

attaching bigger images.

BR/AAnnotation 2020-02-21 083856 - adobe LR cropping - invalid ratio mess rotation.pngAnnotation 2020-02-21 083856 - adobe LR cropping - ratio is not the same.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your camera is set to 9:16 or perhaps 10:16. LR honors that camera setting, but because it is a Raw file the crop can easily be cancelled.

I keep my M6II set to to 9:16 because I frequently post photos online for phones or other UHD aspect screens and that setting gives me guidelines in the camera when composing.

As for losing pixels when rotating, the alternative would be to have empty white spaces at two corners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Elie,

Thank for you help.

Indeed, Canon M50 has settings in menu for ratio (1 page, 2 option).

I changed it from 16:9 to 4:3 and crop grid changed in LR.

ratio option in Canon M50 (will affect crop fram in LR)ratio option in Canon M50 (will affect crop fram in LR)

Another challange, that cropping frame is now small in width 🙂 but you gave me an idea, where to look for an answer.

Thank you very much,

BR,

/A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines