• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it just impossible? Sort by size?

Enthusiast ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's such sophisticated software, but it seems we cannot sort by size. 

I'm not a well organized person.

I have thousands of photos.

When I go through my pictures, I'll see an image I want to use. I'll check the metadata and find that it is low res. Drat!

So then, I continue to scroll through my thousands of pictures looking for that same image (possibly with a different name) in a higher res.

Isn't there a better way?

Isn't there a way to group by size. BY SIZE????

I've been researching online. Once upon a time I used Jeffrey Friedl's plugin. It doesn't work any more.

Should I go into the actual files (outside of dropbox) and try to make a database by names and sizes?

I know it's my fault for not setting it up intelligently, but please, if anybody has a suggestion at this late date....?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I your purpose is to identify duplicate images and get rid of the smaller one(s), then you might consider using the free LR plugin Teekesselchen . It is very fast and efficient. In any case most efficient than sorting manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Collections let you filter (not sort) by megapixels.

There are only limited types of sorts avaialble in Lightroom, sort by image size is not one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to use a plug-in. Never tried this one, simple google search finds this one in a split second.

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/megapixel-sort

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. NICE plugin! It used to work, but it doesn't work anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out John Beardsworth's Search Replace Transfer plug-in - it performs a number of valuable metadata functions, and lets you add fields like size (MB) and pixel dimensions (example 3000 x 2000) to the Metadata fields you can search with the Lightroom filter bar.  A web search should find John's site and the plugin, and  I believe he sometimes posts to this forum.  Basically, after you install the snapshot, select the photos you want to be able to filter and use the "Workflow Filters" function to define and populate the custom searchable fields.

I'm not aware of anything that searches for pictures that look the same, although if your derivative versions keep the originals' capture dates you may be able to sort or filter on that - without any plugin... Depends on how you created the derivatives.

Once you straighten out your situation with redundant copies of files, consider only keeping the master copy in Lightroom and producing prints or exporting if you need other size files.  You don't have to reimport those to Lightroom... and if you want ready access to different versions of a file (develop treatments, crop, etc) , look at the lightroom snapshot and virtual copy functions.  Much easier than proliferating multiple real copies.  I only keep original RAW files in LR.  The only exceptions are any reimported panos or HDRs, and occasionally the full-size (16 bit layered TIFF) output of PS if I had to do something to a picture in PS outside of LR that I want to save

I have no connection with the plugin other than as a user for several years.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I used Jeffrey Friedl's plugin. It doesn't work any more."

If you're referring to the Data Explorer plugin, it still works and is supported. If your installation isn't working, you might contact Friedl for support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To summarize your options:

- Consider the Teekesselchen plugin for identifying near-duplicates.

- The Any Filter and Data Explorer plugins can create collections sorted by total megapixels, length or width, or file size in megabytes (or many other metadata fields).

- The Search Replace Transfer plugin can filter by file size, and the Any Filter plugin can filter by file size, megapixels, length, or width.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines