• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it just me or is LR 8.3 much slower?

New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is just in my head, or what, but ever since LR updated to 8.3 I can't help but find it loads images incredibly slowly, despite using a heavy amount of resources (I'm running an Intel i7 8700k, 32GB DDR RAM, RTX 2070 GPU, on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. it's hardly a slouch). Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm also getting the export bug where my NAS folder is not writeable, which is a lie. But there's already another topic on this.

I usually work with my files on a SSD so that they're fast, but after the 8.3 update it feels like I'm running the files on a NAS. Can anyone verify if theirs is feeling sluggish too?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats just the sort of update you don't want.

There should be a version 'rollback' option in your Creative Cloud desktop app that might be easy and give you a quick comparison .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Very, very slow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was happily editing Nikon D850 raw files (46 Mpixels) on the previous version on my Dell XPS 9650 laptop (CPU: i7-7700, 32 GB memory, SSD, nVidia 1050). This new version is unusably slow. What's most annoying is that the whole widow keeps going to solid black or solid white when I try to do spot repairs. Also, often it won't stop drawing after I release the mouse button when brushing, so I get long unwanted strokes that I don't always notice until later. I seem to recall issues with the GPU in the past, but I turned that off and that didn't help. Most frustrating - I'm going to be rolling back to the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I am not alone. I am also editing Nikon D850 NEF files and I am using an 8-core iMac Pro with 64 GB RAM. Performance has definitely been below that which I was getting in the previous version. In particular, extensive use of local adjustments results in severe lag to the point of making Lightroom (Classic) almost impossible to use. Quitting and restarting temporarily fixes this problem. I'm not keen to roll back to 8.2.1 as I am finding a lot of use for the new Texture slider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, extremely slow here too. Syncing settings between photos now takes forever and basically freezes the app while it does that, you can't do anything else until it finishes syncing the settings. Everything is sluggish now.

Glad that Adobe sees us as their beta (or alpha) testers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 8.3.1 is now running my D850 NEF files like an ageing slug.

i7-7700k; 4.20Ghz; 32k ram and M.2 SSD, W10, 64bit, so it's no slouch

Images take longer to load, and positioning the navigator view area on 1:1 magnification lags by a 3-4 seconds .

The processor is now working harder than on previous versions.

Is this a known bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Except mine takes forever to open lightroom classic aswell, windows flags it as not responding but if i leave it 5 minutes it will come to life but its barely useable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so just timed it to see how long it takes.

There is clearly something broke in this update.

So timing from the second i double click the lightroom icon on my desktop,

8.3.1 took 3mins 36seconds until i could use lightroom (half the time of that was windows saying its not responding but leaving it does eventually work)

8.2.1 took 12 seconds until i could use lightroom.

Defo gotta be a broken update i think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no issues running LR 8.3.1 on my Windows 10 system with similar systems specs as those posted. Have you tried using the Creative Cloud app to uninstall LR and then reinstall it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  Why should I need to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall but still exactly the same.

I currently have 8.2.1 and 8.3.1 on my system.

8.3.1 is unusable

8.2.1 works perfect.

That would suggest to me latest update is broken

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok all i seem to have found my problem but would like to know why this would effect version 8.3.1 but not version 8.2.1

So to clarify a clean install of lightroom classic 8.3.1 lightroom would take nearly 4 minutes to load and would be sluggish once loaded.

So i looked around the lightroom folder directory and under modules i found a module called logiOptions.

I thought "thats my logitech options software that i use for my mouse".

so off i went to the control panel and uninstalled logitech options, rebooted my computer and launched lightroom 8.3.1

To my surprise lightroom loaded within 15 seconds and was ready to use and was no longer sluggish.

I then reinstalled logitech options to clarify that was at fault and it was unfortunately, back to waiting 4 mins for lightroom to load.

So if anyone can shine any light on this i want to know why this problem has occurred as to be honest i think i was lucky to even find the cause.

It doesnt affect lightroom classic 8.2.1 or earlier as these are what ive always used alongside logitech options in the past and as said in a previous post i got both 8.2.1 and 8.3.1 installed with logitech options but it only causes problems with 8.3.1.

Thanks any any advice would be appreciated

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the Logitech Options app has a vulnerability for exploits:

Vulnerability: Logitech Options users should uninstall immediately (updated)

At the bottom of the above link is a link to the newer version without the vulnerability. I suggest uninstalling the current Logitech Options app, remove it from the Lightroom program Modules folder if still there, run a full virus scan, install the newer version, and see if it reappears in the Lightroom program Modules folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And apparently the dongle as well, has a vulnerability that may need updating:

Why you should really, really update your Logitech wireless dongle - The Verge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm already on the latest version of Logitech options and problem is there!

Either way if there is a security vulnerability, still doesn't explain why this causes problems with latest lightroom classic update but not previous versions.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robmcc83  wrote

Ok all i seem to have found my problem but would like to know why this would effect version 8.3.1 but not version 8.2.1

So to clarify a clean install of lightroom classic 8.3.1 lightroom would take nearly 4 minutes to load and would be sluggish once loaded.

So i looked around the lightroom folder directory and under modules i found a module called logiOptions.

I thought "thats my logitech options software that i use for my mouse".

so off i went to the control panel and uninstalled logitech options, rebooted my computer and launched lightroom 8.3.1

To my surprise lightroom loaded within 15 seconds and was ready to use and was no longer sluggish.

I then reinstalled logitech options to clarify that was at fault and it was unfortunately, back to waiting 4 mins for lightroom to load.

So if anyone can shine any light on this i want to know why this problem has occurred as to be honest i think i was lucky to even find the cause.

It doesnt affect lightroom classic 8.2.1 or earlier as these are what ive always used alongside logitech options in the past and as said in a previous post i got both 8.2.1 and 8.3.1 installed with logitech options but it only causes problems with 8.3.1.

Thanks any any advice would be appreciated

Rob

Long ago I disabled the plug-in for the Logitech Options.  You might want to do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rob,

Thank you very much. I have had this problem for about a week on two different machines. As soon as I read your post I remembered getting an update on both machines. Have deleted on both machines and back to normal. I had been reading other posts for the last two days, several said it was a catalog problem and you needed to build a new one. Also other deeper methods. I always try the easy way first and it worked. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else still have issues with 8.3.1 on Mac? I've never experienced anything like this with Lightroom but since the recent updates it's basically become unusable.

I'm using a 2019 27-inch 5K iMac with 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40gb RAM with the Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB Graphics Card so the machine should be more than capable of running LR without the kind of issues I'm experiencing, which include both the Adjustment Brush and Spot Removal tools causing the application to grind to a halt, with endless spinning beach balls.

I've tried the following solutions:

- Optimised Catalog (Master Catalog)
- Created New Catalog and reimported only the RAW files I'm currently working on (about 150 images)

- Moved RAW files to SSD on iMac (instead of USB C external drive I normally keep/use them from)

- Exported as DNG and then attempted to use these (again, stored on the SSD)
- Set up a new admin user account and tried to run LR from there

None of this has made a scrap of difference! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jonathanc20453104  wrote

Is anyone else still have issues with 8.3.1 on Mac? I've never experienced anything like this with Lightroom but since the recent updates it's basically become unusable.

I'm using a 2019 27-inch 5K iMac with 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40gb RAM with the Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB Graphics Card so the machine should be more than capable of running LR without the kind of issues I'm experiencing, which include both the Adjustment Brush and Spot Removal tools causing the application to grind to a halt, with endless spinning beach balls.

I've tried the following solutions:

- Optimised Catalog (Master Catalog)
- Created New Catalog and reimported only the RAW files I'm currently working on (about 150 images)

- Moved RAW files to SSD on iMac (instead of USB C external drive I normally keep/use them from)

- Exported as DNG and then attempted to use these (again, stored on the SSD)
- Set up a new admin user account and tried to run LR from there

None of this has made a scrap of difference! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

You are naturally adding yourself in this discussion. However it is a two month old discussion. And your issues might not be identical.

Highly recommend that you create your own new discussion. Might get more responses.

When you do, include the following information

Your system information as reported by lightroom. Include info from line 1 down to just past plug-in info.

Location of your catalog

Repeat info on location of images

Location and size (limit) of Camera RAW CACHE

Setting for library previews default size

When did you last update your MAC OS

When did you update your Lightroom Classic

Also, inquiry, running at 5K, it worked before? It is extremely common for MAC 4K and 5K users to be extremely unhappy with Lightroom performance in develop mode. This due to Lightroom’s usability to really use the GPU to help creating 4K of pixels, And Apple MAC OS refusal to allow for actual smaller resolutions (scaling does not help)

You might try reducing the window displayed on screen, i.e. not full screen

Be aware, a common thread you will receive is to accomplish use of adjustment brushes outside of Lightroom (that is in PS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines